The Weekly Rank Em - Disney Renaissance

Show off your creative endeavors: photography, stories, podcasts, painting, drawing, comics, poetry, sculpture, videos, ANYTHING. If you made it and you're proud of it, display it here. If you've got something to plug, do it here. We wanna see what you got!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Weekly Rank Em - Disney Renaissance

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 am

Before Disney started defeating itself with Pixar films.

The Disney Renaissance is the era from 1989 to 1999 during which Walt Disney Feature Animation (renamed Walt Disney Animation Studios in 2006) experienced a creative resurgence in producing successful animated films based on well-known stories, which restored public and critical interest in The Walt Disney Company as a whole.

The Little Mermaid (1989)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
Beauty & the Beast (1991)
Aladdin (1992)
The Lion King (1993)
Pocahontas (1994)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Hercules (1997)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999)
Let's just say it moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!!
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner

Re: The Weekly Rank Em - Disney Renaissance

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 am

1) The Lion King (1993)
2) Aladdin (1992)
3) Beauty & the Beast (1991)
4) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
5) The Little Mermaid (1989)
6) Hercules (1997)
7) Mulan (1998)
8) Tarzan (1999)
9) Pocahontas (1994)
10) The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
Let's just say it moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 am

Beauty and the Beast
Mulan
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Rescuers Down Under
The Lion King
Hercules
Pocahontas
Tarzan

My daughter has been running around singing the Hamilton and Lion King musical soundtracks she recently downloaded, so though her singing is nice, the LK is suffering some from this exposure. But it also bugs me. The women, the warthog, the daddy in the stars, etc. Don't get me wrong, I personally identify with the warthog.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 am

Beauty & the Beast (1991)
Aladdin (1992)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
The Lion King (1993)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999)
Pocahontas (1994)
Hercules (1997)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

I love most of these movies. Little Mermaid really started the renaissance and has a special place. I enjoyed Rescuers, but it wasn't quite the same animation or quality of story as some of the others, perhaps a reflection of trying to being early in the era and trying an original story vs. adapting a classic story (at least I believe it's original, but I could be wrong). And it may have just been my life situation at the time, but towards the middle/end of the era ('94-'96), but I just didn't get as into those as much as the earlier ones. My first kid wasn't born until the end of '96, so we were just seeing the movies because they interested us (my wife and I) instead of seeing them through kids' eyes, so the earlier part of the era was new and interesting, while the later part of the era (from our perspective) began to get formulaic and just seemed to be cashing in. But once the kids were a couple years old, it started to have good entertainment value for the kids, so things changed for us again.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"

Return to “Nerd Love (show off your stuff!)”