[GB] 1v1 Zeus vs. Athena

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] 1v1 Zeus vs. Athena

Postby Eliahad » Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Flame and I played a 1 Hero 1 God 1v1 Duel this evening, Zeus (Perseus) vs. Athena (Achilles) . It was a full 12 round game. The first goal coming in Round 4 by Perseus....but then a Pillar of Heaven knocked him to the ground, and Achilles quickly scooped up the ball and, with a blessing from Athena, scored on the VERY SAME ROUND! Achilles, still brimming with the power sought to score again, just as quickly, but Zeus had other plans, and Achilles got as close as the goal line before being turned aside by Perseus. Then a tactical match ensued, with each side playing cautiously and carefully until, finally, in the first part of Round 12, Percy found the back of the goal, and won the game 2-1!

We decided to try the 1v1 hero thing just to see what would happen, both of us skeptical at how it would go. We were pleasantly surprised at the game that resulted. In the game that we played, Zeus v. Athena was a 50/50 game, it came down to a couple of card plays that could have turned the game one way or the other, and I felt like there was skill exhibited to get the game state into those positions.

Things that were learned: The base rule set and mechanics are pretty close to being set. There weren't any rules questions that resulted from the written rules.

There were a couple of cards that needed tweaking. Athena's Palladion being one of them. We're going to add in that terrain can't be created inside the Palladion. It's going to make life VERY interesting for Poseidon if it finds its way onto the board.

We also just need data. So much data. We need to test every combination of player count. And make sure that God decks are getting tested against each other. Oh, and the order you draw the cards has an effect on who is going to take advantage. Not to mention tweaking power and balance for individual cards!

So much more work to do! But there is a GAME here. And we're going to find it!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: [GB] 1v1 Zeus vs. Athena

Postby Eliahad » Sun May 20, 2018 11:21 pm

[The playtime was a little less than an hour, with pauses and distractions in the middle.]
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Re: [GB] 1v1 Zeus vs. Athena

Postby FlameBlade » Mon May 21, 2018 7:20 pm

One thing that should be pointed out...playing a full game gave me a good idea of what end-state Hero board should look like. Athena had tons of boon, so a lot of creativity is required to work against that along with running the clock.

I mean, distance force fumble. Geez.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Godball”