[GB] Development Issues Moving Forward

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] Development Issues Moving Forward

Postby Eliahad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 am

Just some thoughts I wanted to get down as we move into the new phase of things.

1 - Deck Size - Is 30 cards the right number? It does create the possibility of inconsistency from game to game as the chance that cards do, or do not, come up can have a big swing in the game. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's something to take note of. What if the decks had, say, 24 cards instead? Does that still prevent the need to shuffle (no shuffling!) during the game, but does it focus the personality of the God? Does getting rid of 6 cards make it easier to have a meaningful hand every turn? (Unfortunately, the other thing to consider is production. For example, if we drop down the card count by 36 cards, will we be wasting some of our production budget? Or, does dropping it down get us under another card count so that it doesn't matter? My guess, with, I think, 9 cards per sheet, as long as we're careful with our math, it's going to be okay.)

2 - Board Size - Would one more hex ring make a difference? I don't know if it matters if we're scoring at the rate that we like. But we should also keep an eye on our score totals. Do we want soccer or lacrosse scoring?

3 - Deck Balance - Does every God have a fair shot at winning? This is going to be incredibly difficult to figure out, as it has so many moving variables, including the skill of the player using the deck. But, given equal skill, does every player have an equal shot at winning? The answer does not need to be yes, but it should be close, I think. (See Cosmic Encounter for not caring about power balance.)

4 - Card Usefulness - within an individual deck, cards are going to get used more or less often. Some are situational, some are just plain powerful. We should take a look at what cards ALWAYS get used, and what cards people LOVE using, and see if we can bring up the less used cards into a similar alignment.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."

Return to “Godball”