HYPOCRISY!!

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

HYPOCRISY!!

Postby poorpete » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:41 am

Hypocrisy criticism is one of my biggest pet peeves on the political internet. It's often a hollow, unrealistic criticism that's easily levelled while pretending life is so easy and cut and dry.

I got thinking about it this morning when I posted on Twitter that it was "weird" that an attack on Guam means nuclear war and the destruction of Puerto Rico means fend for themselves.

I realized that was my way of charging hypocrisy, so I added what I prefer: safety for Guam, safety for PR.

So after some thought, I've come up with a hypocrisy rule:

Hypocrisy criticism only works when you agree with one of the two comparisons.

This is why most political hypocrisy fails. Like, chances are, if you're going to accuse Trump of hypocrisy, you disagree with both his decisions.

Example:
"Trump complained that Obama golfed all the time, and now he's golfing all the time!"

This seems like obvious hypocrisy but I ask this: when was Trump right? Was he right, presidents should not be golfing a lot, or is he right in golfing? If he's neither right, here's a charge to you:

"Obama golfed and you said nothing, Trump golfs and suddenly it's a scandal."

You can say "oh it's different" and of course it is, but that would mean things are not so cut and dry, which is a world where hypocrisy happens all the time in our lives and in politics and is unavoidable.

Another charge I see from my side:

"They say they are pro life but..." against human dignity or pro-death penalty or fine with collateral damage or against keeping kids healthy via healthcare, or pro guns, etc etc etc. Same query: which of the two is the right stance? Otherwise another charge reversed:

"Why do you care about this when you are fine with the murder of the most innocent life?"

Unfair charge? Of course! Charges of hypocrisy suck.

Another thing, maybe this should be part of the rule. In accusing, what you agree with probably shouldn't be the most current position. Because people change, and you should prefer people change for the better If Trump is right to golf, because it relaxes him and we should have a healthy and grounded leader, then you should be glad Trump learned it was okay.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: HYPOCRISY!!

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 am

So, yes, but...
Hypocrisy is embodied by folks who say "it's her choice..." but flip out when the girl has a drink because suddenly it's child endangerment. Failure of consistent logic hugely irritates me.

I think the political hypocrisy which deserves criticism is embodied by the guy who just resigned because his personal views about the appropriateness of abortion clearly conflict with his public stance.

The golfing is an issue because of the public stance, because they pretend it's not happening. He's lying about his true beliefs.

So we have two issues here: One, a conflict between public and private behaviors and beliefs, and Two, a logical inconsistency, where someone refuses to see the equation. Sadly, we call them both hypocrisy.

BTW, if a storm devastated Guam, they'd be abandoned too. Their American-ness is a mere convenience in the case with N Korea, because so many folks with power justify their actions and positions based on dishonest rationalizations.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Yeah, dishonesty is what gives hypocrisy it's potency.

Here's a similar way my team falls into the hypocrisy trap:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... orism.html

(I personally think terrorism shouldn't be called terrorism, instead of everything being called terrorism.)
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm

yea my body my choice is 100 percent about killing babies but can a mimekiller get a flavored clove cig legally? naw dawg.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ro ... mg00000009

Good: comparison includes something the writer agreed with, in this case GOPs stance on Moore.
Bad: The agreed with item is the most current item. If the goal is change and not scoring points, maybe encouragement of GOP that they are doing the right thing now is more important than cursing them for not doing the same previously.

This gets a 3 (out of 4 SoMuchFors)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

Ok, I'll aside.

If he asked for a Lawyer Dog, they should have told him Lawyer Dogs didn't exist. They didn't even do that! I don't like stories like this that will cause future generations to laugh at us like we are unlightened rubes, but maybe it's too late.

It makes you Wonder Dog.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm

I think my dawgs know when I'm talking about dogs or when I'm talking about my dawgs or otherwise they would not be my dawgs but I wouldn't mind having a cute dog.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm

also anyone who uses doggo should be medically sterilized.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:12 pm

My Lord, what now. I don't even want to know the underlying basis, do I?

Return to “Nerd Babble”