Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Music Music Music

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:39 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 am

Oooooooooooooo she does not stop!

Lately I have been on this particular song again and again - I find myself oddly moved by curiosity to determine what Lauryn Hill thinks of current events, but I know it would be a wild and weird rabbit hole and I don't have time for it right now, sadly!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Obsessed with this song, perhaps because I am using COCONUT milk to make a delightful curry sauce today for the first time and it was magical and perfect on the very first try at this!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

It hurt me even to replay the memory in my mind unbidden, so I must cleanse it by offering a real version sung by a real tenor without the surrounding sulfurous stench. Sorry about the distressing way this video cuts off the orchestra at the end, when you really, really needed a better resolution after being drawn through that glorious emotional ringer, but that's how it be sometimes when you don't have your own recording to upload.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:56 am

Here is a good one for Sunday morning:

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:52 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:03 pm

I love her, she is just so good - perhaps more obviously here than in other videos. And also a very interesting person. Womanofsteel!

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 am

Listening to U Talkin' Talking Heads to My Talking Head, Scott recommend this cover album reimagining their Remain in Light album, which was influenced by African polyrhythms and specifically Fela, and returning it to Africa. It's pretty fab.

Kidjo was on my artist deep dive project (so was Feta) that I never finished. Maybe it's time to restart it...

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:10 am

Love her too! She recently won a Grammy, yes? There's an amazing video with her wearing this long blue and white gown - I can't find it and I don't know whether that's because it's too early or if I can't remember what I'm talking about. Anyway, yes to this! Here's something really mellow for the very pleasant morning we are having here:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 am

Made error of listening to current pop radio hit for the children, "WAP". I don't think I'm being hypocritically prudish about saying this is not really a good radio hit for the children, because I don't like the other ones of its kind either, when they so explicitly mention anybody else's parts and potentials. I'm an all-purpose disliker of pop radio hits that include this type of thing without at least some "poetic" masking. Why? Because I know that I never played that song in this house where my kid could hear it, nor did either of the other kids in the house, but nevertheless my 9-year-old knew what it was before I did and asked me if I had ever heard the new cardi b song before breaking out into the giggles. So all it takes is one teenage sibling or parent to play it for one kid in a classroom of twenty, and all the other nine-year-olds suddenly know exactly how to go look it up for themselves.

That said, it's pretty catchy. And while I can appreciate both of these ladies and find some amusement in their latest work - the spelling my name line is a "realistic practical advice" type of highlight - again I'm going to apply the consistent rule that we would apply if this were made by men and say that if you need to brag about your little garage it's probably not that tiny after all. So sad.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 am

This is a fun article to show that dirty songs going to #1 has been a 50 year phenomenon.
https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/wap-d ... ber-1.html

Still of those it's clearly the most explicit. But there's been songs this explicit for decades, they just never hit #1.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:18 pm

They gave that person a nice long leash to write something hilarious. :D

Not sure of those are examples of widely known/super dirty lyrics, though - maybe I just have weirdly compartmentalized standards. Like "Baby Got Back" is a wholesome tune, isn't it? Merely a nice way of celebrating "normal" rear ends, no?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:21 pm

He definitely gets explicit at times, uses the F word as a noun, but it's comparatively tame. But so is Chuck Berry's My Ding-a-Ling.

Reading the lyrics, I didn't put together that my favorite song from the "Bash Brothers" film was probably inspired from the line "Shake that healthy butt, Baby got back (L.A. fits with the Oakland booty)"

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 pm

See it's about healthy butts. It's a health song. Very different thrust, if you will.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:08 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:52 pm

Usually I encounter this song when I'm driving because it is ubiquitous on the radio, and there's a window down and lots of wind noises and street noises, and I can't hear a thing they're saying. But even without the distractions I don't think I would be able to tell what they're saying! I am coming up with my own lyrics, as a consequence, because one of the lines ends with something that sounds like Donald Trump. We're building out from there but it's a work in progress; meanwhile I babble along senselessly. No idea why this song is called Roses - I never hear that word anywhere in this thing, and it took me a really long time to figure the name out (only happened because one day I glanced down at the dashboard while driving and saw a jumble of letters for artist and then the song was the word Roses.)

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Discovered this because of a movie I was watching last night; got to the very end of the movie and had to stop watching right about when the song came on, due to child awakening and wandering through the room unexpectedly, so now I have been diverted by listening to various musics but still haven't finished the movie.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Features everything I love about modern pop, which is mainly, being as catchy-as-hell and wearing its influences heavy on its sleeves. Crisp modern production, anthemic 80s throwback (interpolating INXS) but also a 70s disco floor stomper.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:17 am

Haven't yet seen the new version of the movie but have been presented with the new version of the song, and it's actually quite good for what it is. I'm glad they had her sing it again - it should have been her. She has managed to constrain some of her florid vocal stylings and channel them towards a better end, and the result is powerful. I don't like the ending with that one giant note blasting and then down to quiet, but whatever. Our culture is insensate to such things unless you blast them with a virtual cannon, and they did.

Return to “Nerd Babble”