What are you watching?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What are you watching?

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 am

Ah. Just getting started on Jessica Jones season 2.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I am struggling to watch Sons of Anarchy.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Lord knows that is a struggle. I was a passive listener to it. Ughhhhh. But it wasn't as bad as Deadwood or whatever that was. That was like the single worst show on the face of the earth, I couldn't even believe how bad it was. I'm still mystified. All I remember is waking up at 2 in the morning and someone is saying c********* c********* c********* about 400 times in a row and then someone is pulling another person's eyeball out or chopping their arm off and it's not clear whether it's to harm them or benefit them through medicine.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 pm

That's an accurate account.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 am

I liked the first couple of seasons of SOA. I dig antiheroes, it had a Hamlet-like set up of secrets and betrayals and I thought it had some good moments where the Bad Thing was the Necessary Thing, and that's pretty compelling. But yeah, the Edgelord factor took over pretty quick.

It did really help me appreciate Breaking Bad, though.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm

TONS OF TV now but I do miss the heyday of THE SHIELD, SOPRANOS, THE WIRE, BREAKING BAD.....
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Finished Jessica Jones season 2, lacking the AMAZING big bad of season one I found the entire season fairly mediocre, not IRON FIST AWFUL but just mostly ok.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 pm

I finally got to West Wing and holy hell am I glad I did. I'm halfway through season 6 and while it's definitely not as good after Sorkin leaves, it's still pretty good.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Oh yeah, watch Altered Carbon. Shut up, just do it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 am

Wild, wild country. Holy shit is this messed up.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:51 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm

well yea I think that's the lie we tell ourselves, that yea were smart and those country bumpkins or "dumb" people that join cults well my goodness we would never do that.

With the right person and right message I bet we all would.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Dude I'm in one already! But hopefully mine is not evil. A friend of ours lost a child - who had a science PhD - to a cult and resulting death, and initially it was inspired by a gentle desire to live well and retreat from bad things in the world. Extremely intelligent, nice, rational people can be susceptible to this type of thing. But these Oregon people were largely NOT good, as the show makes very clear. They're awful! But interestingly the opposing people around them were willing to break the law left and right to go after them. A whole schmear of badness.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm not sure that "breaking the law" is on par with ya know, trying to poison a entire town but it certainly shows how fragile the framework of "laws" are in the face of someone trying to pervert them to achieve goals.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Well of course they're not on a par! But yeah, it's interesting to see how they bent the rules once they decided on this objective. This is the part I found edifying since it's something most people have to grapple with every day on some level. Procedures and rules can protect you but they can be manipulated in all sorts of ways. I see very different kinds of people at work in this regard. Some are sticklers for the rules in a way that seems to go beyond pragmatic objectives, while others are always railing against them a little bit. Some use the rules as a shield, or a guide, or as a system to be ignored or manipulated for personal gain. So it comes back to the people and their motives, but it also illustrates that there are better and worse systems of rules which have to be constructed with this reality about how they'll be used in mind.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Yet another way time spent delving deeply into "silly" RPGs gives us some insight into practical realities of human life.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am

I thought Wild Wild Country was great, but it really glossed over the poisoning and assassination attempt in an effort, I saw, to make it seem more even-handed. That said, I saw an interview with the directors that they wanted to focus more on the clash of cultures and the constitutional aspect than the more salacious parts of the story.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 am

Agreed. They seemed sort of fascinated with the main cult characters they interviewed, and didn't provide context that would have clarified the gravity of their actual crimes. They also give you only brief glimpses into cult life that seem more designed to be salacious than realistic. Life there was not good, it was not all just boobs. People are enslaved in these situations. That kind of needs pointing out. But nevertheless it is fascinating to see how people tick.

Return to “Nerd Talk”