Film folks that you'll never "get"

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Film folks that you'll never "get"

Postby Kyle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

Eli's on the money. The Magic Flute is the first one I saw and it's what really made me appreciate opera.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

The Magic Flute is the only one I've got down. The only one I've seen I think, and the only one my daughter likes (though she hasn't seen the whole thing) thanks to...

(the audio is sped up on this, I guess to stick it to the greedy PBS)

So, I'll go G&S next.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Agreed with Akiva re: Gladiator. I enjoyed it but it's "common", as it were.

Opera... A really good live performance of a fairly short opera may help. But I'd start by listening just to famous songs that get in your brain and really belt those suckers out in the shower or car until you're in the proper spirit to take on bigger ones. For instance, do we not ALL wish to sing this?

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 pm

The best Bugs Bunnys
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Maybe if you like high voices I'm posting the wrong things, but I got into opera through guys like this one because, well, he sings right in my vocal range (or higher, really) and I liked singing along.

I also like the sheer madness of opera. Crazy plots like Pique Dame... Crazy people like Lucia di Lammermoor:

Return to “Nerd Talk”