Happiness

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Happiness

Postby Phoebe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

a broader trend I find both irrational and dangerous. My biggest complaint against "liberals", as presently identified in the US, is that they adopt their preferred set of utilitarian outcomes as "good" and then set about justifying illiberal methods of encouraging those outcomes. Yet one major point of being a free people is that we do not have to accept one another's ideas about what constitutes happiness or a good life. It doesn't always work out that way, as when certain people successfully impose their ideas about things like dying a prolonged and miserable death upon others, but that's part of the ongoing struggle over the boundaries of what's permissable.

The idea that we should reconceptualize the right to pursue happiness as we see fit, and treat it as a challenge to support some cross-culturally informed goal based on consequences, is loathesomely illiberal. One obvious question is who decides the right consequences, and the impossibility of that task and spectre of foisting its result on people is, hopefully, why we wanted people to be free to decide for themselves. But this whole idea that happiness is something like a mood that precludes sad feelings or frustration is batshit to begin with. Someone recently wrote a popular article about how wrong this is - I'm thinking maybe in the Atlantic? I need to find it. And this is assuming happiness is even a mark of a good life, which is far from agreed upon.

Anyway, this becomes a cultural and political problem when people who share this way of thinking decide that other people's happiness pursuits aren't worthy, and then try to tell them what's good for them. And then people who dislike being condescended to have their own irrational reactions. None of this is helping.

Return to “Nerd Talk”