What are you watching?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: What are you watching?

Postby poorpete » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:56 am

I Love Lucy thoughts on her 109th birthday
1. my kids (5&8) love it.
2. It's timeless, except for some gender role stuff (ewwwww).
3. Lucy's schemes are almost always bad ideas but Ricky's counter-schemes are almost always overly-cruel.
4. The theme song ups my dopamine.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:12 am

Star Trek: Discovery

I'm sure people have posted thoughts about this before, but I did not process because I hadn't seen it. So I'm interested to hear what the rest of you think about this. Anyway, overall I'm really enjoying this and I think we're about halfway through the three seasons. The obvious negative is that I absolutely hate what they have done with the Klingons. Sorry but those are not even Klingons, and even if we could get past the awful physical appearance, they have narrowed and distorted so much that was interesting about Klingons. Boo. And the whole half Klingon thing/Klingon inside me bs... yeah, that's a disaster too.

I'm enjoying just about everything else, though! I love most of the characters, I like the fact that it's not serialized but follows a longer arc over various episodes, I like that everybody is morally conflicted and screwed up yet still trying to be responsible for making the right choices. It's good stuff. I don't know if it will stay good through the rest of the whole series but looking forward to it.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm

On Netflix:

Space Corps
Dark
Witcher
Lucifer
Ozark
Sherlock reruns
Another Life (good space sci-fi)
American Gospel
Mars
After Life
IT crowd
Its Okay Not To Be Okay
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Finished Witcher. Finished Star Wars: The Clone Wars, all 7 seasons. Finished the first season of the new Perry Mason series on HBO, which was pretty good. Now starting The Mandalorian.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:58 am

Warrior Nun
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Pride, available on Amazon Prime. A true story about LGBTQs supporting striking miners in Britain in the 1980s. Loved it, highly recommended.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:35 am

Fringe, on Amazon. I forgot how much I like Walter, and the opening sequence is just eerie enough to get the right mood of the show.

X-Men: The Animated Series, on Disney +. Watching it in the order the scripts were actually supposed to go (check the Wikipedia page) rather than the order it is listed on D+ or the order they were aired.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Ok, I'm not really sure how to feel about this or whether I should disclose it, but I have been watching this terrible show about Dating on the Spectrum - I think it's a British show? Or Australian, something with accents? I find it interesting but also very hard to watch. I don't want to dig into the meaning of everything but, I really deeply relate to some of the experiences and interactions these people have. But I also feel kind of like I feel watching OCD shows - they're doing real therapies that help people but it also becomes a spectacle, and they focus on dramatic things like can you lick the toilet seat and crap like that. I think they make a little bit of drama out of some of the spectrum personalities or behavior, and that bothers me.

At the same time, the show is treating these people like completely normal viable dating show candidates, like any of the thousand other dating shows, and confronting the problem that they may not feel like they are worthy of love or are unable to achieve it. That seems important and valuable.

I made a new friend, or I guess I should say, sort of invigorated a friendship online after already being acquainted for a long time in a casual way, and my new friend is very open about describing experiences of being on the spectrum. Between the show and the friend it's a rather healing experience. I think I do an extremely good job of pretending to be normal, and it can be a tremendous relief to talk to people who are not even worried about trying to do that.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Go watch Shetland! Go do it now! It's on Britbox but possibly other places. The characters feel like real people...it's a dark show, but DCI Jimmy Perez is a good person who is trying to do good things. The first season is two episode arcs, but after that it switches to 6 episode arcs and you actually get to watch the secondary characters develop, too. It's pretty organic. I loves it, and I'm sorry I can't watch any more episodes at the moment.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 am

Power; it is such a bad show. Others love it so I watch. Ugh. I do stuff while watching but still, can't ignore it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 pm

My husband is watching a show called Cougar Town. It has Courtney Cox and one of the good people from that show that ended in the '90s, oh... Freaks and Geeks, the blonde gal. It makes me want to tear the carpet out of the room bit by bit with my teeth. He seems so completely psychologically unaffected by the pandemic, but I think this is where it's creeping to the surface.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 am

We started watching Long Way Up on Apple TV, about Ewan McGregor and a friend of his riding electric motorcycles from the tip of South America all the way up to Los Angeles. And that got us to watch their show from 2004, Long Way Around, about their motorcycle trip from London to New York by driving east across Europe, Asia, Canada and the US.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:48 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Cobra Kai

This was not my choice of show to watch, and one must endure a great deal of Bad to acquire the Good here, but the show is HILARIOUS and so much better than you think it would be.

Return to “Nerd Talk”