Utilities, Infrastructure

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Utilities, Infrastructure

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am

Two of the more sober, smart people I've talked with about this topic have for years now expressed concerns about other states attacking our critical infrastructure via hacking. Now even WSJ has headline article about this, and our collective leadership is beyond useless for taking action on it. People I have asked about this differ in conclusion - some think it's just a predictable effort to try to steal info while exposing any weakness, others think any large-scale effort to weaponize such attacks could cause disruption and difficulty but only on a smaller scale that could be addressed relatively quickly, and still others are like, this is why I stockpile the water and firewood. I always felt like the U.S. economy was so vital to the success of other economies that it isn't in the interests of most state actors to actually harm it in a major way, beyond smaller-scale pressing for advantage, but I'm also relatively clueless about all of the above, so who knows? It's troubling to know we have a problem here that is going to remain unaddressed, without being able to understand much about the nature of the problem, and getting fully conflicted expert advice from such experts as one has.

Return to “Nerd Talk”