Moving in

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Moving in

Postby Kyle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

So there's some good things and bad things to having your house and all your stuff destroyed, and then subsequently moving back in.

Good: The house is repaired with modifications to open up the kitchen and the living room and it is 300% better.

Bad: We moved 14 times in 6 months while the house of repaired.

Good: With insurance money, we can repaint the house- interior and exterior- and it looks brand new.

Bad: Repairs took most of the insurance money- including the money to replace our contents.

Good: The stuff in the house we are replacing, is replaced with brand spanking new stuff- appliances, tools, outdoor equipment, etc.

Bad: There's not enough to replace most of what was lost.

Good: People generously donated furniture and beds, so the only furniture we had to buy is a kitchen table/chairs and a bed for me and my wife.

Bad: Not going to lie, someone donated a twin mattress with a giant poop stain on it- why would you do that? Why would you make it my problem to dispose of your poop mattress?

Good: You realize how much you take for granted the security of going home every day to your actual home- and you appreciate it for how great and important it is.

Bad: We had to realize how vulnerable and insecure it makes you when that's taken away.

But here's the truth: It's hard not to be happy walking in the door to my actual house and seeing my kids and family all under our roof. It was an awful experience, definitely in the top three worst of my life so far. For sure it sucks losing all your pictures and clothes and sentimentals. And I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But it's over and it's hard not to focus on the great things like: (1) an 80 gallon water heater; (2) a brand new AC unit; (3) a brand new king sized mattress that is heaven to sleep on; (4) an amazing mesh wifi system that covers the whole house completely; (5) a shower three times bigger than the old closet I used to shower in. And the list goes on and on.

I know it sucked, but I got to tell you... I'm in a great place right now. Life is good and I'm happy to be here.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moving in

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Regardless, congratulations on getting your home back! It must be a bittersweet relief.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Glad you're back home and the family is all together again!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:11 pm

So excited that you have moved back in! Wish you could have been spared the whole experience, but at least things looking up.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Everything is just so expensive. Blinds? $600. Yowch.

Return to “Nerd Talk”