How happy are you when you wake up?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

How happy are you when you wake up?

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:48 pm

It's an interesting question, and one I've been thinking about more in the "SUPER POSITIVE" vibe we have going in the "Can't Kill This Thread" thread. But generally speaking, I'm pretty happy in the morning. Were there morning during the flood diaspora where I couldn't sleep in a hotel and was miserable at 3? Sure. We all have bad nights and I had more than usual during the diaspora.

But that aside, I generally wake up in a good mood. I don't linger and long for more sleep or the bed. I wake up (usually around 4:50 or 5) and lay in bed until 5:15 (that's when the coffee is done being made on the timer) and then get up. Then I usually drink coffee, watch the morning news and go on my iPad. But sometimes I'll do work- like unload and load the dishwasher, or clean up the living room and kitchen, or make lunches in the instant pot (this morning I made succotash at 5:30 in the morning- the house smelled great for when everyone else woke up).

But I also recognize that I'm naturally a morning person. The flip side of this is that I get real tired REAL fast after 9 pm. I'm not as sharp and I get a little cranky until I go to bed.

So I know a lot of you are night people, not morning people. So I wonder how that affects you? Is the morning a chore for you?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How happy are you when you wake up?

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

I'm a morning person as well, and I'm usually in a good mood in the morning. My alarm usually goes off around 2:20, I take care of biological functions and then take the dog for a walk. When we get back, I do my workouts (usually about 90 minutes or so). Then I spend some time catching up online, doing a few crossword puzzles, doing my daily DuoLingo German lessons, etc. Around 5:30 I go get my shower, get a bite to eat and watch a little bit of the local news, then wake the family up around 6:30 if it's a school day.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Oh my God. How the hell do you function on Fridays after game night?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 am

I hate the morning. Given the chance, I will happily sleep til 10 or 12. But I often have to get up before dawn. I'm never happy about it, but I'm pretty good at getting up and going.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 am

I'm a morning person who feels best in morning vs. night, especially for doing certain tasks, and I usually jump up like a squirrel. Problem is consistent sleep deprivation and burning the candle at both ends, so I regularly have to function on 4-5 hours of sleep. It's not okay. I'm too old for it and it creates a lot of resentment and unhappiness that has no outlet or solution. Arranging life such that one person is constantly sleep deprived is not cool.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:19 am

I’ve been up since four and I’m currently baking bread. My house smells amazing! Mornings are great.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm

If someone was baking bread in the AM I definitely would leap forth from the bed in full squirrel mode. Getting a little caught up today with a nap; thankful for a little break from work.
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan

Postby Pdyx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Ugh, I'm miserable when I wake up (unless I can naturally wake up, which would be like 10 am regardless of when I went to bed) because I have a job and a small child. I'm a night person through and through. I am generally grumpy for the first 30 minutes or more after waking up, sometimes longer, and even though it's not rational I'm grumpy with everyone/everything shortly after waking up.

Generally regardless of how much sleep I've had, I will get a natural boost in the 8 pm- 9 pm range and have a hard time going to bed much before 10:30--which I only do because of having to wake up for work/etc.

If I could design my own schedule and the world was okay with it, I'd stay up until 1 am or so most nights and wake up around 10 am.

I'm thankful that 'chronotypes' are increasingly being recognized so that hopefully those of us who want to stay up late and sleep in aren't seen as lazy and maybe there will be accommodations made eventually.
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan

Postby Pdyx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am

Follow up. I woke up this morning relatively happy but I think that's because I got plenty of sleep, which is ultimately the key. But it's hard when I don't really feel like going to sleep when I "should."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Believe VERY strongly in a Chronotype set either in those genes or in some very early experiences through infancy and toddlerdom. Toddlerhood? Eh.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 am

I wake up pretty happy and grateful actually.

I get up at 4:15 and am out the door by 4:45.
I arrive at work by 6, leave at 2:30. Any online stuff( FB, Youtube, NPR) is done on my breaks and lunch.

Get home and do whatever work needs done. farm work, house work, laundry, dishes, mowing, burning brush piles before the burn ban starts, burning the garden area and feeding animals.
If possible work on a project or two (currently its making a shou-sugi-ban table top) or drawing maps, or organizing and cleaning out the garage
I have a timer set for 7 PM so that I stop and spend time with the family either playing a 4 player minecraft or boardgame or watching a show.

but I digress...Yes, yes I do wake up happy...the other content was just a bonus.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am

I don't wake up happy; I'm a night person, and getting up early is painful. and

I also often wake up feeling terrible about myself. Today is an especially bad morning. Fun times.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 am

That's because it was Monday. And today doesn't count either because ughhhhh no hope for making it through four more days in a row. Thursday is going to be great ok?
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 am

Reel on a repeating loop
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri May 10, 2019 9:58 am

I'm decent (if slow to fully wake up) most days. I have the usual "Damn it, I didn't die in my sleep" vibe, common to those with my disorder. But outside of that, I'm generally okay.

Except for Monday mornings. Because that means I watched the Game of "FUCKING WRITERS BEING FUCKING MORONS" the night before.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm a super happy morning person; the alarm goes off at 5 and usually I sing the good morning song from Family Guy as I'm puttering around before work. I hit a pretty hard slump every day around 2-4 and then feel great in the evenings until 22:00. Once that time comes around my body shuts down incredibly quickly and if I tarry too long I frequently don't really remember getting myself to bed.

Return to “Nerd Talk”