Introverting

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Introverting

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 pm

For those of us who are introverts, I am curious about whether you have successful recovery techniques. I feel like mine are seriously lacking. When I have been on a big roll of needing to extrovert, exhaustion follows and I tend to block a lot of things out, trying to carve out this space to introvert-regenerate. Unfortunately I need to extrovert so very regularly! All the time.

I can pump myself up to do it but here's what will happen: I stay up late because I can't just plop over asleep after having all the anxieties of being an idiot among people. They don't even have to be strangers - just anyone outside the immediate family or a few particular friends (thank God I have some actual RL friends I can see in person once in a while again). Or I might disregard people/activities I would like to regard because I need to lock down a half-hour of not talking, not sitting in the bright lights and noise, not dealing with News and Information. I will also eat as a means of shutting out other anxiety while feeling Comfort and Pleasantness from food, and we do not need that technique! No thanks!

Listening to music sometimes works; playing music is better; working out works but is often not a good option at the time this occurs (i.e. getting sweaty in clothes). Actually one of the nicer things I have found is our periodic online RPG, because one can be pleasantly social without having to be up in people's faces, feeling anxious and worthy of negative judgment, no idea what things to say in the moment, etc.

Luckily today is such a day when I can introvert it up like crazy for about two hours here and one hour there, and so I'm trying to build up stores for tomorrow with is another Fully extroverting day. :suspect:
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: Introverting

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:05 pm

I work about 10 hours a day from a windowless office in my basement, and the only people I interact with regularly are my wife and son. So I have plenty stored up introvert energy. And when things get heavy, I know I'll be able to go back to my basement office soon enough.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Re: Introverting

Postby El Jefe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 am

I just took the unhealthy option. I abandoned as close to 100% (as I could get) of all contact with people. It's not a recommended (or even very feasible) route. I hear that anxiety disorders do wonders to make this route easier though.

Less shitty answer: Claim time where you can. Be clear with people, particularly family and friends, about what you need. Be willing to cut back on contact if they can't or won't respect your necessary terms of engagement.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"

Return to “Nerd Talk”