I was a victim of ageism...

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I was a victim of ageism...

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 am

The other day there was an update to the 'Webcomics' app for Android. (I assume there was also an update for the app on iphones as well, but that's neither here nor there...) When I loaded up the app, there was a new feature: it asked for your birth date on your first use. I figured this was because there are a few comics on the app that have mature themes or they are branching out into having more mature content and want to add protections in to prevent minors from accessing inappropriate material, or at least have the excuse that they put this step in place when parents complain so they can point out that the minors viewing said content lied when they put their birth date into the app in order to view the content, thus absolving the company of fault or some such...

Anyway, I proceeded to put in my birth date, which, strangely enough, was the one week before I had updated the app, plus 53 years... I pressed the 'start' (or 'continue' or 'whatever it said') button and... got a message that said "Please Select"...

This happened regardless of how many times I tried reopening the app...

So I sent a message to the app developer complaining that their new age-wall broke the app. Then, just for kicks, I tried putting in my SON'S birth year instead of my own and... BINGO! I got into the app!

Today, I got a response from customer support for the app. (Actually, I got two identical responses, one right after the other... Gotta love it when tech support sends duplicate emails...) They apologized for "being rude" and for the inconvenience and told me to enter a birth date after 1970. Then they promised to fix the problem in the next version.

I'm actually kind of impressed that they realized what the base, gut reaction would be once I figured out how to defeat the glitch and get in by putting in a date that made me appear younger.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: I was a victim of ageism...

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 am

Wow. I've encountered some pretty stupid bugs and programming oversights over the years, but that's a pretty bad one.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Re: I was a victim of ageism...

Postby buckett » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:50 pm

This is hilarious.

Return to “Nerd Talk”