[Book] Little Heaven- SPOILERS

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Book] Little Heaven- SPOILERS

Postby Kyle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Okay, Mime. Let's talk about this. I liked the book a lot, but think I liked the Acolyte just a hair better. I'm reading the Troop now.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Book] Little Heaven- SPOILERS

Postby mimekiller » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:49 pm

So that ending eh? a truly HAUNTING fate for our brave protagonist whose looking at an eternity being ground down into absolutely nothing. A GLIMMER of hope as his squad is ready to suit up and come to his rescue but that seems like a exercise in futility, I guess if they are able to pull that one off is left to us, the gentle reader at home.

ACOLYTE also had a dark fate for the protagonist and as someone who grew up in the church a lot of the world building really seemed accurate, from the "christian" version of the club to the outright venom charismatics have for other sects of the faith. I give Heaven a slight nudge for having more memorable characters...but its a close call I don't know....

also really no reason to skip this book if you enjoyed Cutters other works(Kind of wish he was a real person and not a pen name of an established author)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21412284-the-deep
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Cutter books have a very vicious Richard Bachman quality that is great.

My flaw with this book was that every character was so realized and complicated except for the main character, Micah. I felt he was kind of a quiet, stern-jawed stereotype that, even with his backstory and history, didn't really give me much meat for his character other than "Noble Warrior."

The ending was fucking great. Everything about the book was great. I liked the hyper-real, but not quite, nature to the world. Objectively, it could have been just set in 66 and 80, but there was something heightened about it. Like a western set in the dirty, grimy 60s and 70s. Very Sergio Leone.

I've seen a couple comparisons of the book to It because of the time jump, but that's not fair. It told two complete stories in two time settings. Little Heaven's future jump was really just the book ends to the real story.

Anyway- I liked it, thanks for the recommend.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:53 pm

I can see that, Bill and ellen are far more interesting. And yea I guess the ELEVATOR pitch is kind of like IT but not really...

If you're looking for some more down and dirty horror even tho we are past the hallow eve season I would suggest...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/696 ... ge-of-town
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 am

Cools. I’ll check it out.

Return to “Nerd Talk”