Why Do You Rank Things?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Why Do You Rank Things?

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:40 pm

I don't unless I am required to by my contracts. Not beyond 'I like this,' or 'I don't like that,' anyway. When I have to grade playing tests and put players in an order, it's the worst thing in the world for me. Especially when I understand that I, have to subjectively quantify different skill sets to come up with an aggregate score for a student. This student did better on x and y, but this other student was amazing on z. Does that mean that they were better in the end?

I am ranked constantly, which has led to more than a little anxiety about being good enough or doing enough for the people that I perceive to be ranking me.

So why then do you feel the need to rank things yourselves? Because I don't understand that feeling personally and would like to get some insight into it.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Re: Why Do You Rank Things?

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

I'm more along the lines of you. I think along the lines of mental bins with things along the lines of like, dislike, meh.

Besides, in most cases, people cannot reliably sort into more than 4-5 categories. If you ask them a week or a year later, their sorting will be different, exposing some arbitrariness in the process.

I could see how ordering students would be difficult. And how helpful is that? Knowing that you are 5 of 12 isn't as helpful as knowingthat you are really killing one aspect but you need to work on this other thing.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Because it’s fun for me and a way to make me critically think about things.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Lists are a fun way to gamify talking about culture. Sure I can chat about presidents, but how about desert island presidents or who should really be on Mt Rushmore.

I dunno when lists became important to me. Probably around the time I got a World Almanac and became obsessed with the lists therein.

A major influential list was the AFI 100 Greatest Films. Took me almost a year to complete and then it became fun to debate what was good and bad and missing from that list. Literally 20 years later, the podcast Unspooled is doing the same.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Now thinking about what sorts of things I choose to rank, unbidden - i.e. not because someone asks for your top five favorites, but because you want to rank them spontaneously. Often it's stuff I like, and doing it is some weird way of dwelling among the thoughts about why the things are liked. It's pretty much the same impulse at work when you're a kid ranking the favorite smelly markers. Weird impulse. I wonder why.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Good stuff. What did cavemen rank? Top 5 worst berries to eat, but I hungry, and berry so red and inviting!

I've been thinking about kit kats.
I had a pack of five flavors and I ranked them. All I remember is plain was my top, which was kinda lame but makes sense: that's why it's called a kit kat and became popular, because it's good.

Anywho, the rank wouldn't matter in most cases. I liked them all and would happily eat any of them if given a chance.

If I was offered five of any flavor I would pick one of each.

But if I was offered one... I'd pick original.

If I was offered four... I'd probably not pick the white chocolate one.

But also, again, the rank DOES matter at five or more because it's fun to rank things.

And also also, at some point I'll eat all but one kit kat, and, for sure, it will be an original kit kat.

This rambling post has been brought to you by kit kat! Now in six flavors. Break me off a piece of that is a thing I say!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:23 pm

My feelings about the Starburst flavors have gone through strange cycles. And I'm only rating the original four; forget that other nonsense they put out. There are four flavors.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:11 pm

No, there are no other flavors.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:43 pm

There is only one Oreo: Double Stuff!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 am

I rank things in a different way...to prioritize time use for maximum accomplishment (combining errands, appointments, work schedules)

I'm not good on ranking stuff usually. Although a new candy bar rank might be in my future.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 am

I find it hard to believe that no one has made this joke yet, so I will: What are your top 3 reasons for ranking things?
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:16 am

Okay we can close the thread down now.
:banana:

Return to “Nerd Talk”