I'm getting hearing aids

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

I'm getting hearing aids

Postby Kyle » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Is 47 even that old? What is going on? I've been having trouble with diminished hearing for several years now. I've always had tinnitus, but it's gotten noticeably worse in the last two to three years. But in the last year, my hearing has gotten bad enough that I can't follow along in conversations in crowded rooms (or restaurants, or outdoors-- basically whenever there's any background noise) and have gotten tired of asking people to repeat themselves 3-4 times (and still not being able to hear them). My family was certainly getting tired of it. So I went to an audiologist and guess what? I have moderate hearing loss!

So I'm getting hearing aids in a couple of weeks and I'm really of two minds about it, right? On the one hand I'd like to get my ability to hear back, and I'd certainly like to slow down the progression of my hearing loss. Also, modern hearing aids are supposedly like the greatest airpods ever, but we'll see about that. On the other hand, it's a bummer thinking about it because I feel like I'm losing my health. I know: boo hoo, poor me. But it does make me feel pretty old.

All that said, I'll just have to learn sign language and then Flame and I can talk shit about all of you behind your backs. Except Eli, I guess. Okay, Eli, Flame and I can talk shit about all of you behind your backs! Take that!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: I'm getting hearing aids

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:57 pm

I don’t have them yet, but it’s only a matter of time. There’s a history of hearing loss on my dad’s side of the family, and most of my sisters already have hearing aids. Compared to them, my hearing is in good shape, even though I’ve had several operations due to cysts.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:04 pm

My wife will be getting them this year. I have tinnitus and certain frequencies are just gone, but my hearing is way better than hers, I can hear well, but she has the better vision....

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 am

Changed my life. I thought my hearing wasn’t bad, but now that I can hear I realized how much I was missing. When I take my hearing aids out it’s like there’s water in my ears.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:41 pm

That is terrific! Glad it worked so well.

Return to “Nerd Talk”