Bad Feminist

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bad Feminist

Postby mimekiller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 am

That was kind of the point! Step 2 is to ask yourself why you would take amusement or pleasure in the prospect of such a person being truly injured in the process. Step 1 already happened, when we imagined why the situation is funny.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am

Mixed feelings about this. Absolutely delighted that these people are trying to normalize menstrual periods, and take away the associated shame and stigma, the ways women are punished financially and socially for just having a normal female body.

On the other hand, they don't disclose that their cup evangelism comes with its own company partnerships, and just because you're not carrying the water for a multinational corporation doesn't mean that you're not shucking for a company and its products. They seem take it as a given that pads and tampons don't meet people's needs optimally, and that there's nothing grotesque about the blood that emerges from your body, as if we don't in fact consider spit and pee and poop and earwax and snot and other forms of discharge as universally kind of gross. There's a reason we consider them gross! They're not food; they're not supposed to be appealing. A pee stain is not something I care to see on my clothes. A blood stain is no different, and in fact is worse because it's harder to get out!

On the other hand, some men are giant babies about this whole deal. My son will be spared that fate.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 am

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:45 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Not real thrilled about the #MeAt14 thing. Hearts maybe in the right place but execution very poor. Some 14 year olds look 22, and there's a long-standing problem of 14 year old girls AND boys of color more likely assumed to be adults or much older than they really are, and then subjected to violence. The hashtag thing just reinforces that people have to appear a certain way in order to qualify as childlike. But the problem is not with appearance; it's with capacity for serious life-altering judgments. It's a mistake that even mothers can make when we assume our beloved clever child is more like an older teenager or adult who is capable of making good decisions all the time and handling everything in life accordingly. It's good to realize this is the age when people have a lot of trouble finding their retainers and will leave a piece of cheese lying out on the counter for two days and then think it's still good to eat. Not saying some adults wouldn't do this, but this is why we don't saddle them with much decision power under the law.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:41 am

It doesn't, sorry, it's a response to the latest social.media thing. It concerns me.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm

So Louis CK's apology isn't being taken very well. Did he apologize? Yes. Did he do it to the best of his ability? Maybe, maybe not. Was he sincere? We have no way of knowing. Did it come off as narcissistic because he kept inserting himself and his own power and the admiration of others towards him into it? Absolutely.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Dude clearly has issues. At least he admits that he has issues. The question in my mind is whether he really did this to people without their knowledge or consent. I have neither the time nor inclination to track down details to ferret this out, but out of curiosity if anybody figures it out let me know. My understanding was from reading the few cases I heard about that he did ask people first or they agreed because some of the victims were trying to explain why they had agreed even though they still felt the behavior was really gross and creepy. And that's legit a person can have issues with being a creep without being a rapist and I just want to know the difference. Is he a creep who managed to convince people to do things he shouldn't have been asking them to do and that were inappropriate to the context, or were they things you really should be in jail for like indecent exposure? I've been on the receiving end of indecent exposure of that sort from a total stranger in the dead of night at a rest area and it is scary as f*** in that situation. But if somebody is like hey do you want to see my tiny peepee, and I'm grossed out but don't manage to say no and walk out of the room, which I'm free to do because the person is not my boss or otherwise restraining me? Okay then he's a creep I don't want to hang around or watch his shows maybe but I still don't think he needs to be in jail.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm

LOL!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Lena who confessed to sexually molesting her sibling.. & laughed about it. yeah, Im not surprised she'd stick up for another deviant
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... au-1059660
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 am

It's just incredible to me in a way. Here we are supposedly finally taking women's voices seriously, and barely scratching the surface of concluding that Bill Clinton is a scumbag and maybe a rapist too, and already, it's Hillary's fault! Hillary had far MORE reason to think her husband innocent, simply because any and every form of sexual misconduct was being thrown at him to undermine his candidacy. She was handed huge reasons not to believe. Is it possible we could succeed at blaming the actual people who did the wrong thing before eagerly leapfrogging over to blame the WOMEN who didn't do anything of the sort?!

Yes, Democrats, time to wake up and realize Bill was bad and that this issue has no party lines. But Hillary blamed for what Bill did? That's a bunch of bs. I would never know if my husband did something like that. For heaven's sake, people have affairs right and left without the wife knowing! How is that her fault?
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm

She actively worked to defame and delegitimize his accusers, for DECADES
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Also this sex stuff should really be a DEAD POOL like topic but I will just dump it here, why not. but CHARLIE ROSE as the next one to be outed as a sex creep. lmao

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... 4c67398ed9
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 am

The Joe Barton situation is perfectly representative of the giant confused mess this whole wave of sexual assault and sexual harassment reporting has become. If someone exposes naked pictures of you, that they took not because of some non-consensual activity you pushed them into, but because of a consensual activity with a consenting adult (unlike the Anthony Weiner situation), then you are the victim! Reporting this "scandal" as a scandal, even as Roy Moore is now being normalized completely across the media, is just plain wrong. I don't know if it's just that journalists have no adequate education or comprehension to deal with these matters, or what. Meanwhile we have now set the bar for Decent Behavior in this country so low that not only is it okay to be an open and avowed racist, and reach the highest echelons of government office while doing so, but it is also okay to reach those offices after having allegedly sexually assaulted more than one minor child. We already knew it was acceptable to be elected after allegedly assaulting adult women; that just goes without saying in this country.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Ok. Not really sure what this has to do with blaming her for Bill Clinton's history of sexual harassment and assault accusations.

Return to “Nerd Talk”