I Don’t Want to Be the Strong Female Lead

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zombie
The Zombdigitty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I Don’t Want to Be the Strong Female Lead

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Brit Marling (creator/star of OA, Another Earth, Sound of my Voice) put out an in the New York Times today. Female representation in movies has come up a few times in our various review threads so I wanted to share.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: I Don’t Want to Be the Strong Female Lead

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:57 pm

I have a Netflix category (given to me unbidden) called Strong Female Lead
Uh oh unsupported character. What do we do?
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Good but it still has a bit of the problem of some brands of feminism. They react to men saying "Men are X, Women are Y. X is better." by saying "Men are X, Women are Y. Y is at least as good." That path accepts many of stereotypes of the old paradigm. I want to throw out the paradigm altogether. Gender stereotypes are largely fiction.

I realize I'm lucky in that I live in an exceptional world. I work with female scientists on a daily basis. We're all too busy doing our jobs to worry about gender roles.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:12 pm

Happy Birthday to you btw, not sure when it is but . Sometime around nowish or not longvago!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Solid take, though I think Strong Female Lead is just fine, an added tool in the tool belt of positive female roles.
I am reminded of
The meme of
kumail nanjiani
Before and after.
Women are being pushed to be an After Kumail, which is fine if that's what they want, but prefer they get solid characters like the ones Before Kumail got.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:18 am

I looked this up to see what you were talking about and WHOAAA!
So I discovered that a really good personal trainer helped him get there, and he has lots of details to offer but a nice short summary is here:
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:04 pm

I took you both to be arguing for a roughly related point, that valorizing a different part of the gender binary can still mean upholding harmful expectations about gender, and maybe we should tear a lot of those things down. But the really important thing here is that we properly objectify a hot guy, so I don't want us to lose sight of the goal in the midst of nuanced discussion of vital topics.

Return to “Nerd Talk”