All things COVID-19

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: All things COVID-19

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 am

I don't know. With the NFL standing with BLM, I think that throws things up in the air. From my anecdotal Facebook feed, it seems that there's a lot of crossover between people who don't want to wear masks and people who are anti-BLM.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:35 pm

feeling that NFL won't happen. Or at least, stadiums will be empty.

Baseball isn't looking good at all. Disc Golf will be broadcasted on CBS sports in August (be sure to check it out!)
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 am

Arizona postivity rating is around 20 percent, but at low number of testings per capitia, which means coronavirus is essentially out of control in the state. I suspect we are looking at nightmare conditions there.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 am

Don't worry. Mike Pence is supposed to have a task force press conference today. That will solve everything. :sarcasm:
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:01 am

Reminder: all responses have 2 week lag. All politicians need to consider what could happen 2 weeks from now.

Clue in ancient Greece.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:47 am

My area had a 2% positive rate a few days ago, and Im like "it might be noize, but oh no it might be coming back" but holy crap some places are now at 20% need to flatten that curve fast.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Maryland is dropping to 3 to 4 positivity rate, with a lot of tests. Encouraging, but still not where I want it to be.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:28 pm

A lot of people saying Texas, Arizona, and Florida doesn't have skyrocketing deaths. So that's corona weakening.

Nope. Death rates have a lag that is approximately 1 month. New cases appearing is approximately 2 weeks.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Yep, hospitalizations in those areas are skyrocketing, and in a couple weeks the death count will start following, unfortunately. One of my IT clients is affiliated with a Houston-area hospital system, and they started opening things back up to non-COVID stuff a few weeks ago, but are having to reverse course now that it's picking back up.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 pm

It can take a while to die! My friend's sister with COVID was in the hospital for weeks, finally went to hospice as no further hope, but she lived on quite a while. So when we see cases go up, then it's hospitals and ICUs, then deaths increase later.

My family members who have now heard of more cases close to them are now very serious on masks and distance. I am worried we will have to home school all fall, which is a negative due to my inability to teach differential equations and advanced physics. If my fellow citizens could get their shit together and stay separated, we'd be fine for at least some period of school. But... No! These *******s are mad that schools might require masks. In other news, thinking about taking concealed carry class soon.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 pm

The full court press to change minds has begun. Better late than never.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 am

Right now, best thing to do is to pay people to shut down everything. Especially in the south states.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 am

So apparently Austin is becoming a hotspot. We’re running out of ICU beds, and might be out this weekend.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 pm

Hope all of you are well! So scary.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Wisconsin Republicans sued and got the state-wide stay-at-home order overturned, stating that the decision should be made by the local counties and cities instead of applying statewide. So now that the number of cases is going back up as a result, the counties where Milwaukee and Madison are located are backing off on the re-opening plans and re-imposing some restrictions. So of course the response from the state's association of bars and taverns, who encouraged people to hit the bars the very evening the state supreme court overturned the governor's order, is to threaten to sue the counties saying that it violates the state's department of health recommendations.

All we need is some QAnon-Karens and some Hawaiian shirt-wearing Proud Boys to turn us into the Florida of the North.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:17 pm

I feel like possibly you already have those. But honestly, one reason they may be having conflict over it is that your state is so evenly divided. In other words, there's hope. In other places the turtles are all Republican, all the way down, and nobody has to sue because nothing good is going to happen.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 pm

45 will go down in history for his comment in February that we were at 15 and will soon be down to zero. Some, including him, say he is supposed to put out an optimistic view. But 3 million is reality. 15 wasn't optimistic. At this point 2 million would have been optimistic. 15 was insanity. It was criminally neglegent.

I did a little graph to show my therapist in March. In March, I expected my anxiety to be highest, as time passed, I expected sadness to take over. Then, as that subsides: Anger. Right now I feel all three are about equal.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm

My daughter's coworker (at a coffee shop) tested positive. So now she's isolated in her room, and can only come out with a mask on at all times. The rest of us are quarantining at home. She was tested Sunday (the day after we learned) and was told it will take two weeks to get her results. But they told her that if no one has any symptoms, then she can stop quarantining two weeks after her exposure- which will be next Monday. So the situation is that she won't get her test results back until after she's able to walk around like everyone else- with the specter that after doing that, we could get an asymptomatic positive result later.

Fortunately no one has symptoms.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Why are places even open in Texas at this point?

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:02 pm

Trump/Pence/DeVos and their whole "open the schools" mantra is annoying, to say the least. Leave testing up to the states and localities, but when it comes to opening schools, do what Donald says or risk losing funding. And ICE threatening to deport international students if their university is online-only in the fall is such BS. Good for Harvard and MIT for suing the admin on that decision.

And if the CDC's changes to the school opening guidelines that Pence announced smack of caving to political pressure, they're going to further damage their credibility.

Return to “Nerd Talk”