How much do you leave the house?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

How much do you leave the house?

Postby Kyle » Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 am

Obviously if you're going to work, then it's a lot more than others. But I'm working from home, and I realized that I'm leaving my house just once a week- to buy my groceries for my personal meals each week. Other than that, I'm at home. I used to put 35,000 miles a year on my car, but I realized that I haven't driven it in two weeks (I take my wife's car to the store) and I'm worried I need to charge the battery.

I'm wondering how unusual my situation is, or if others are basically doing the same.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How much do you leave the house?

Postby Eliahad » Fri May 15, 2020 10:25 am

Do you just mean leaving your neighborhood bubble?

Once a week for groceries, and usually once for some other thing. (Like I played a memorial service for 6 people last weekend.) Starting this week, I am likely to be playing a church service once a week, but I don't know exactly how that's going to work yet.

But we walk almost every day.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 am

I probably walk into work once or twice a week, for no more than 30 minutes at a time. I should also note that it's not a long walk - maybe two city blocks - and that I walk to work just about every day anyway.

I maybe go out and do some shopping once a week. SB has to go into work more often though, so she is often the one picking things up. There's not really a whole lot of places to go anyway, but this is starting to change. Governor Cuomo has said that Central NY meets the requirements for the phased-in reopening of the state, so some businesses are allowed to reopen, and parks may become available as well.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 am

Not often at all. My wife goes to get groceries about once a week, but I stay home. I went out today to renew my drivers license, but that was the first time I've been out and stopped somewhere for quite awhile. I think besides that, I've only been to a drug store once since the end of March. I've been out a few times to give my son driving lessons, but we hop in the car at the house and drive around and don't get out of the car until we get back to the house. And I've worked from home for over 9 years, so our baseline level of travel wasn't big to begin with, but it's definitely decreased.

I do make it a habit of making sure both of our vehicles are driven for at least 20 minutes every 2 weeks. Even when it's not on, it doesn't take long for a modern vehicle to drain it's battery, even when both of our vehicles are hybrids. We recently had to replace a battery in our one vehicle because it sat for a few months over the winter without being driven, and that few months was enough to completely kill the battery to the point where we couldn't even open the doors to get inside and hook the battery up to a charge. I had to have a mechanic come with a special tool to pry the door open a little bit and reach in with a long, hooked pole and pull the door handle to open it up. So yes, you should make sure that each one of your vehicles gets driven for at least 20 minutes every week or every other week, just so the battery keeps its charge and the vehicle keeps functioning correctly. You don't have to stop anywhere while you're out, just a fun little jaunt around town or down the highway and then back home will do.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 am

Almost never, except for groceries, geocaching, trash pick up in local trails. Disc golf practice, and went on course for the first time on Thursday.

Only real interactions with others are groceries and 3 takeouts in 3 months.

And yes, because of geocaching, we were able to keep cars running.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat May 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I pick up and deliver groceries to others and for us once a week, which is nice because my store has a really good system for depositing the items in your car while you wait. You never come near anyone and the service is almost always perfect.

Soon I am going to visit a school to pick up summer instructional materials. They set it out and people come up one at a time.

I have gone to pick up medicine at a drive thru pharmacy and wasn't thrilled.

Husband has to go to work once in a while. Of the various times, I would personally say about two were actually necessary, but on this we differ. It would be fine due to the ability to self-isolate in the office, except Other People. I get that the extroverts are suffering and the stupids are gonna stupid, but please can everyone stay the heck away from one another when they have no need to be chatty? Seriously, shut your damn mouths and stay away!

Return to “Nerd Talk”