Sports nicknames

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Sports nicknames

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Washington is changing their football team's nickname to.... nothing. For now, it's just Washington, and I love it.

Are there other sports cities that would be fine without a nickname?

The two that immediately came to mind for me were:
Buffalo
Los Angeles
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sports nicknames

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Cleveland
Kansas City
Atlanta

I saw an article saying the Texas Rangers should change their name due to the racist history of their namesake organization.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm

I was thinking cities that could live as their own nicknames, but I agree those nicknames should go, and would be fine if they pick nothing. But Buffalo, like that's already the mascot, why not the whole name? And Los Angeles already have a team called the Angels, they should just be called Los Angeles.

I went to look up what would be the worst nickname and it did exist: Simon Fraser University were known as the Clansmen until recently (now the clan, which many want to nix anyways). But that college is in British Columbia so probably had a different original meaning. I'm surprised sports teams, many created during Jim Crow, didn't take on that nickname. Thank God, actually.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:58 pm

My favorite candidate for the Washington's new name: The Washington [redacted]
Reel on a repeating loop
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:09 pm

I saw a post that suggested that Washington maintain the team name of the Redskins, but rebrand by turning their mascot into a potato.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 pm

hehe I like these.

Oh! One more:

Phoenix - ya got your city and nickname all there, baby!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm

This is a sad comment on how dumb I am but today is the first day I realized that the Texas Rangers team is named after a specific historical organization as opposed to the general name for a type of tracking profession.

Return to “Nerd Talk”