NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 am

Ran for the first time this morning since September 21. A slow 2 miles in 20 minutes. That was after an hour on the stationery bike and a quick kenpo workout. We'll see how the toe feels tomorrow morning.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Cool, what is Kenpo - is this martial art you are learning, or have known for a while? How do you do the workout, like forms?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:06 am

Toe is feeling okay. I just cycled this morning, no running; I'm trying to follow the doctor's orders and only run every other day when I start back up.

As for Kenpo, that's one of the P90X workouts. It is martial arts, and you go through a series of movements punching, kicking, and blocking. It works up a good sweat, and is a good workout for flexibility and balance, as well as cardio. It's nice having that mixed in with the other P90X workouts that focus on strength and flexibility.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:49 am

I should also state that the kenpo workout I do is strictly for fitness purposes, and is in no way something to be considered anywhere near valid training in martial arts. If I walked into a kenpo martial arts studio (either American kenpo karate or traditional Japanese or Okinawan kenpo), they would look at the stuff I do for my workout and think I'm crazy. But then again, I'm not doing it to learn self defense or martial arts, I'm doing it to get and stay fit. And for that purpose, it is meeting my needs.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:18 am

The moves can be helpful though - I have taken enough Tai chi and yoga to be able to get by on my own in a pinch during the season of covid, so while an actual tai chi or yoga instructor might raise an eyebrow at my flailing efforts, at least they are efforts for the purpose of fitness! Yesterday finally got back on the horse with it, and need to make sure that every day, some kind of time is set aside for this purpose. I've been trying to get in the morning dog walk but every morning is filled with all kinds of bad that requires dealing with, so the dog walk happens at random hours and is far less advantageous for fitness than it would be, if we could do it vigorously every morning like we used to. The regularity of your commitment is inspiring!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Ran again this morning, a little over 2 miles in 20 minutes, and toe is feeling fine. There is still a bit of pain, and I think the original injury did some soft-tissue damage in addition to the fractured bone. But it's improving.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 pm

BIONIC TOE! Good news! I need to get my s*** together. Super super super super stressed out and guess what makes you feel better sometimes when you're super stressed out? Ice cream. Carbs. Etc
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 am

30 minutes and 3.25 miles this morning, and the toe is still feeling fine.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 am

Tahlvin's toe can make fire by rubbing two ice cubes together!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Tahlvin's toe has a legendary last name: Theline

Return to “Nerd Talk”