NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Excellent! People's routines are so disrupted that establishing some positive structured ones for yourself seems like a really good idea.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:53 am

After yesterday's run, the shin splints in my right leg were so bad I could hardly walk up and down the stairs. It doesn't hurt when I run, it starts a few hours after I finish. So today I backed it down and just ran 5 miles in 50 minutes. We'll see how it feels in a few hours. I may need to take it easy for a week and then ease back into it.

What I really need is to get a different pair of shoes. But the running store where I usually buy my shoes is probably closed due to the pandemic, so that won't happen any time soon.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 am

By the way, the worst part about the shin splints was my plyometrics workout before I ran. One of the moves was "hot foot", where you stand on one leg with your heel off the ground, and then hop on that foot making a small +-shape on the ground. Hoping on the ball of your foot when you have severe shin splints is PAINFUL!

Thankfully, it is feeling much better now. I'll still need to take it easy tomorrow, but hopefully it will keep improving.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Have never tried this hopping business! It sounds painful on a normal leg, much less a pained leg? Ugh, hope you get some relief! Does the ol' Ben Gay help? I like being gently braised in a menthol salt bath when sore. Or maybe this thing goes deeper than anything like that can help.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm

UPDATES! Started over on my 10K training app-keep-me-on-track-thing today. But this time I'm running and jogging intervals instead of jogging and walking.

Also, I'm sorry Tahlvin, that sucks. I hope it heals quickly and doesn't get in the way too much. Shin splints suuuuuuuuck.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Alright, the new running thing is good. These are clearly harder workouts, because I'm pushing myself more, which is great. But I have a much longer walk cool down at the end, so I'm okay to do other things for the rest of the day. I say other things like I'm going to go play a concert or something. Anyway it goes something like, half-mile warm-up walk, 5 minute jog, 8 sets of 60 seconds running, 90 seconds jogging, 5 minute jog. I cover a little more than 3 miles after those sets, and then walk a half mile home. I'm going to do a couple more days of that, and then I'll up it to 90 seconds running, 2 minutes jogging. Probably 1 or 2 less sets though ;)

Most important thing is that it feels good when I'm done.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:01 pm

That's awesome! Keep it up!

I took two weeks off to let the shin splints heal, and I've started to work back into the running this week. Most mornings have been 6 miles in an hour, and to make up for the slower pace, I've added a 3 percent incline. So far the shin splints are staying away. Next week, I'll bump it up to 6.5 miles in an hour and lower the incline a bit and see how things hold up.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 am

Week 1 was 6 miles per weekday at 6 mph and 3% incline, 9 miles per weekend day at 6 mph and 3% incline plus a last mile at 7 mph and 3% incline.
Week 2 was 6 miles per weekday at 6.5 mph and 3% incline, 9 miles per weekend day at 6.5 mph and 2% incline plus a last mile at 7.5 mph and 3% incline.
Week 3 so far is 6 miles per weekday at 7 mph and 2% incline. This weekend should be 11 miles on Saturday at 7 mph and 2% incline, and Sunday will be 10 miles at 2% incline, first 9 at 7 mph and last at 8 mph.
If all goes well, then next week I'll try 6 miles at 2% incline and 7.5 mph pace, and I'll see what I'll do the weekend.

So far the shin splints are staying away.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 am

This is one of the areas in life in which I am now doing the worst. I don't want to go back to the gym even though it is open again because Trump etc. Walking the dog is fine, I'm supposed to be doing things, working out blah blah blah, but I have no motivation. It is a time of nesting.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon May 18, 2020 8:11 am

Saturday was 11 miles at 7 mph and 1.5% incline. Sunday was 10 miles at 1.5% incline, the first 9 were at 7 mph and the last mile was 8 mph. That's the first time I've run that pace with any sort of incline for more than one lap (0.25 miles) are the virtual track on the treadmill. This morning was 4 miles at 1.5% incline at 7.5 mph pace. It was only 4 miles instead of 6 miles because my pre-run workout was longer than usual, so my run had to be cut short for the sake of time. It felt really good, though, so I'm looking forward to what the 6 mile run at that speed and incline will be like tomorrow morning.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon May 18, 2020 5:04 pm

You're doing great! Glad you got past the shin splints. Yesterday and today I did numerous hours of yard work so I am sore and exhausted, but it was very good exercise and so I feel like I'm back on track a little. I like the sort of unusual physical demands that yard work places on you -sometimes lifting heavy things, sometimes squatting, or just carrying things to and fro, digging with a shovel... It's all good for something.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu May 21, 2020 8:12 am

6 miles at 7.5 mph pace and 1.5% incline is kicking my butt! I'm finishing each morning, but each morning when I hit the 3 mile mark, I have a brief argument with myself about whether I'll do the full 6 miles or just stop at 4. For the long distances this weekend, I may be dropping the incline down to 0% instead of 1%, like I had been planning to try. I've run up to 14 miles at a 7.5 mph pace and 0% incline before.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 am

This morning I lowered the incline to 0.5%, and it was mile 5 before I began questioning my life choices.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm

That's funny, because I question my life choices at mile 2. (Still, I've been making it to 4 fairly regularly!)
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat May 23, 2020 5:35 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 am

Ran 8 miles this morning. The first 7 at a 7.5 mph pace (8 minutes per mile). The last mile was at a 8.5 mph pace (about 7 minutes 4 seconds per mile). I believe that's my fastest mile time since high school track.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Finally got back on the fitness horse lately, took him for a few spins. I don't want to lose progress but I find it difficult to work out "extra" if it's not housework/yardwork that already needs doing, and then I'm Poo-ped Out for the day. I have been doing yoga and tai chi and loving that, at least. It's good right now.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 am

Ran 6 miles at 8 mph this morning and it felt good! I'm back to my pre-injury, pre-treadmill-replacement weekday pace and distance. Here's hoping the injuries keep away!

Return to “Nerd Talk”