NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby Phoebe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm

What about your tonsils?!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Still got them! And my appendix.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Very glad the surgery went well! And hopefully a smooth recovery period.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:59 am

Between the travel schedule, fighting diseases, and surgery on my ear, it's been since about mid-October since I've been able to follow my "normal" fitness routine. Throw in the holiday diet, and I've gained about 10 pounds during that period (which is still about 35-40 pounds off my heaviest). I was finally able to start working out and running again starting yesterday morning, and I have to say, it hurts! My upper body and abs are aching from yesterday's strength training, and my legs are killing me from running both days, especially for my 4 mile run this morning. Walking downstairs to my office hurts. At least I know the ache will go away in a few days as my body gets used to it again. Now I just need to drop the soda from my daily diet, and go back to only having a few on the weekends, and I can get rid of that 10 pounds in a few weeks, hopefully.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:52 pm

It is not easy to come back to full strength! But you will get there. I have found that the dumbbell or kettlebell one-arm snatch, alternating, is an intense full-body event.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 am

Ran 5 miles in 37.5 minutes this morning. Longest distance I've run at that pace.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:27 am

Maybe the surgery has made you stronger!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:58 am

Not a chance. Just the fact that I started putting weight back on was enough motivation to make me work harder once I started working out again. While it's nice to know I can do that fast for that long, I also know it's hard on my body (knees, calves, shins, ankles, feet), and it is not something I want to do on a regular basis for an extended period of time. Once I get back down to my pre-"issues" weight, I'll go back down to a more reasonable pace/distance that will allow me to keep up with the workout longer term without the physical breakdown.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I'm not Tahlvin, clearly, but I just ran 4.6 miles in 50 minutes. I'll take it! The milestone for me this time was not stopping to walk at any point during the run. My hope is to get into good enough shape that I can cross country ski again. I've seen a bunch of groomed trails the last few weeks, and it makes me really want to get back out there. If it weren't at altitude, I could probably do it now, as I could never run 4 miles in High School, but could ski a 10k.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 pm

That's awesome, Eliahad! Put me at altitude in Denver, and I'd have to acclimate myself and work up the distance and speed, and probably wouldn't be able to reach the same level I do down here in the lowlands. The fact that you're still running is great! I hope you're able to get out and ski!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Skiing so fun! Wish we could get out there for a weekend. Sighhhhhh!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:50 am

This morning's run was 6 miles in 45 minutes. Not shabby for a guy turning fifty in a few months.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Nice! You basically run twice as fast as I do!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 am

This morning's run was a half-marathon: 13.1 miles in a hair under 110 minutes.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:07 am

Damn girl you are FAST!!!! It's one thing to run and it's another to just be blazing the half marathon! Maybe they grow hardier people in the cold there.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:14 pm

That’s not even my fastest half marathon. I’ve done it in 105 minutes before. I’m trying to work back to that.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:05 pm

I would have to be in a car to go that fast. But never say never, right? Never say never.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:25 pm

The goal is that you strive to be healthy. For me, running that fast and far helps burn the calories I want burned. And being 6’1” with a long stride, it’s relatively easy, at least compared to what you would have to do to run that fast. Do what works for you to achieve the results you want in a healthy way.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:30 am

This morning's run was a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in 104 minutes and 15 seconds. An unofficial personal best. My official personal best was from almost 8 years ago, where I ran an official half-marathon in 121 minutes. Don't know that I'll ever run an official race again, but if I do, I should be able to get well below 2 hours.

Return to “Nerd Talk”