interest check - short, goofy pbp

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

interest check - short, goofy pbp

Postby Stan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:34 pm

I have a basic idea for a somewhat silly play by post game. It will start in the middle of the action and then go for 30 days, or so. The rules would be ultra light.

We'd start soon to finish prior to Thanksgiving. If I can get at least 3 players, I'll start setting things up and explain more. Any one interested?
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Re: interest check - short, goofy pbp

Postby Zen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 am

I'm in...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am

Yeah! I'll do it!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am

If you need someone to fill it out, I'd be willing. But if you end up with more than enough people, I'll drop out.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Ohhhh I want to do this but the rational part of the brain is insisting I don't have time for it. And that is probably correct. SIGH
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Cool. The general idea is to have the players help make the plot. Play starts in the middle of the opening scene and players describe how they got to that point. Here's how I would like to proceed:

1. Five years ago, I made a pocket mod rpg, called Pockets Full of Adventure. I've started revamping this, moving the DM elements to a 2nd sheet and adding a new game element. The result is Novel Worlds, which you can download here:

Please make a character, preferably using a fiction book with at least some action, and post the results to this thread. Once that's done, we'll start.

2. I've created tables to set an opening scene, which will give the initial goal, the villains, and the location. (Kinda like Instant Game but more limited and focused.) This probably won't make total sense.

3. This is where you all come in. I'll determine a random initial posting order. Your job is to explain how your character got to this point, up to 200 words or so. You can add details about any character in the scene expand on the location, adding new NPCs as needed. There will be one randomly determined phrase you must use in your explanation. Additional players can add to the initial scene or prior player's explanations.

4. Play then proceeds normally as a play by post game, with players posting in any order. I'll set an impending doom that will be looming, to end the game. Each day of play represents roughly a minute in the game world.

This might be a lot to swallow. Here's an example setup:

The dance off wasn't going well. Mole people were making a mess of the spooky mansion. The all important suitcase was under the stairs. Now the king of assassins showed up. Player 1 was under the speedboat. Player 2 was hanging on to the davenport. Player 3 was hiding behind the statue.

Then players would add details and meaning to all this.

The tables and stem sentence are a work in progress - we'll see how it goes.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Stan, you're killing me, I MUST DO IT if you'll let me.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Do it. Make a character. It'll be 5-10 minutes/day.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 am

Everyone who wants in, make a quick character (you don't need any background, at this point), and we'll get started.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 am

Will do but need to get to the weekend first.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am

That's fine. We can aim for a Monday start.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

I knew this was a bad time of year for new games.

I'll check back in late January.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am

Sorry! I totally forgot over the weekend. I was even reading an action story. I could have used any page!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Sorry, Stan :(
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Sorry, was a hectic weekend.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Same. I'm sorry I didn't even think of anything yet - am under the heavy stone right now, trying to lift it. Still interested but need a little time to think up something and put to paper.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 am

Okay, so my question is, since we are going to play online, we aren't going to use cards as indicated on the pocket mod sheet?

From the Iowa Federal Rules of Court I have arrived at the following:

A persuasive judge with a physical disability who can investigate.

Let's say this judge is a lady - I think she has red hair, maintenance dyed and therefore super vibrant for her advanced age, but she's not past 60 and remains pretty spry. She had Lasik and jettisoned her glasses, so now her very piercing blue eyes stand out in her pale, wrinkly face. She has a habit of handing lucky pennies to strangers with whom she has struck up a conversation.

Her physical disability is that she lost the use of her right hand and forearm after a serious car accident, from which she continues to recover. She has learned to type fairly rapidly with only her left hand, and can accomplish many other fine motor tasks well, such as a cooking meals or shooting her pistol at the firing range (she has a concealed carry permit, and receives regular threats as many criminal-court judges do), but re-learning some things has been challenging. In some spare time on the weekends, she has been investigating shipwrecks and working on a list of ships known to have sunk but not yet recovered or located.

Return to “The Gaming Table”