If you ever wanted a non-grimdark Mythos game, it's here!

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

If you ever wanted a non-grimdark Mythos game, it's here!

Postby El Jefe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 pm

So, let me be clear. I love a lot of things about the the Lovecraftian Mythos, probably in equal measure to all the shitastic things I hate about ol' H.P. himself. So to find a game that decided to go for revised feel of the Mythos, to cut back on the grimdark a bit, and give the potential for truly having the potential to effect the End? Yeah, that's a nice twist on the old Mythos stuff.

To go along with that, there were a number of revisions on the part of Evil Hat that work in the game's favor.

1. Lovecraft's bullshit is acknowledged and specifically called out. Very few Mythos projects bother to do this.
2. Using the Terminator time travel setup is a blast of a storytelling device. You're not fighting the Elder Gods, you're fighting the future.
3. Ditching the insanity stuff is lovely for avoiding the shittier parts of badly portraying mental illness.
4. The corruption mechanic used in place of sanity allows for some interesting questions for characters. How far will you go in the past (our present) to better, if not save, the future? Will you be willing to risk becoming a monster in your own right?

While I'd love to have the funds to back it, I'm not really trying to sell anybody on it. I just figured I'd share it around out of interest, for a new take on an old classic RPG influence. I'd love to see this not be in Fate, but that's just personal taste. Because Fate and I just don't really get along without clashing too much.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Re: If you ever wanted a non-grimdark Mythos game, it's here!

Postby akiva » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:13 am

I backed this one. I love Fate, and in general Evil Hat does good stuff.
Reel on a repeating loop

Return to “The Gaming Table”