MTG: Beast Draft

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MTG: Beast Draft

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Beast Draft is a draft format for Magic the Gathering that I read about in hushed tones. I have only heard of it existing once, and there is no way to verify its truth. But it could conceptually exist.

It is treated like a normal draft event (3 booster packs each, drafted in whatever way you would normally choose to draft - standard, Rochester, Winston, Winchester). The potential pool consists of 1 of every Magic card in existence in each of its printings. The packs are created without any regarded for rarity, color, or power level. Every card is legal in the format, including ante cards, Un- cards, and the Power Nine.

After drafting, you play as normal.

I want to try this. Booster packs can be created easily enough through a random card generator. There are several free programs for playing Magic over the internet, but I honestly think that this could probably be done within Roll20 so no one has to deal with downloading anything. Drafting could be done over Roll20 as well - I'm guessing Rochester draft (everyone sees who picks everything) is probably the best way to do so.

Would anyone be interested in trying this?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: MTG: Beast Draft

Postby Eliahad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm in. Rusty as hell at my magic playing, but if we can figure out a way to make it happen (and a good time) it sounds awesome!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Mon May 04, 2020 4:48 pm

I've got boosters ready and set up for anyone who is interested. I'm good right now for up to a total of 7 players. I can take a total of up to 8 with maybe about 15 minutes more of work. I figure we draft on Roll20, and then can either play using Magic Workstation (free download) or possibly Roll20. Who's in?
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Mon May 04, 2020 5:12 pm

I'm a magic neophyte but I'll give it a try.

Return to “The Gaming Table”