TL;DR Dwyn Stories

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: TL;DR Dwyn Stories

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 am

After Kjell and Karin headed back to the cabin, Dwyn went out back to sit with John, who was smoking his pipe. “Yesterday was better, when Dothan was here,” she sighed. “Everyone seemed happier.” John had no reply for this, so they sat in silence a while.

“Well, what did you think of Kjell and Karin?” Dwyn asked. “He has to talk to Mom, you know, since Dad is gone, and if anyone else knows what Dad would have said, it’s you.”

“He’s a great shot and doesn’t waste idle words,” said John. “I can see why they made him an Archer. He must have been one of their youngest. Buddy likes him too, him and Karin. She never lets the wrong word slip.”

Dwyn breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks, that means a lot. You know, Kjell lost his dad too, and his brother, so he knows what it’s like. But do you think Mom likes him any better now? And Grandma?”

“What, didn’t they like him before?” asked John, pleased at finding a way to evade the question.

“Oh, maybe I’m overthinking it,” said Dwyn anxiously, “but I’m not sure they did. The first day everything was going really well, even the dancing part, but today… I don’t know. Dinner seemed awkward. Usually everyone is talking, laughing, know what I mean?”

“There was some laughter,” observed John.

“Yeah, that’s part of the problem. Why were they laughing? They think he’s stupid or weird or something. And nobody even thinks he’s cute except Lowri.”

“And you too I hope,” said John with a grin.

Dwyn rolled her eyes. “Yeah. I’m the weird one in this family, I know it, but they still like me. They don’t really have a choice! They don’t have to like Kjell though, and you know how they are. They know how to make things… difficult, and when they all get going together....”

John nodded. “I know. But your mother means well. She has to look out for you girls and it’s not easy. The money you sent really helped – it helped all of us.” He paused to consider for a moment. “I’ve always been the odd one out too. Never married, never had a family. In the church that makes people wonder. But Gerthin knows, he understands why. Not everyone is right for marriage, and marriage isn’t right for everyone. So I can’t tell you about marriage but I can tell you about Anyon, and he would have liked this friend of yours. He would have said, he’s the right one for Dwynnie, and they would have been friends, sure as I sit here. The Earthshaker watch over his soul, best friend I ever had.” John stood up and tapped out his pipe. “Well, you’d better go talk to her. I’m off to my beauty rest.”
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:33 am

Dwyn found her mother curled up in her favorite chair with Rosa laying on her lap. “Mom, can we go somewhere to talk for a minute?”

“What’s wrong with here?”

“Nothing, I just don’t want Merri or Nimue barging in.”

“Well then, you’ll be pleased that Nimue says she’s never coming downstairs again after what happened, and Merri and Alun went home an hour ago. You see I can’t get up when she’s comfortable like this, can I? No, of course not, nobody’s going to disturb you, baby. Look at her ears, don’t they look almost pink in the firelight?”

Dwyn pursed her lips. “No, not really. We’ve told you a hundred times, she’s not pink. She’s just a white cat.”

Isolde frowned. “Well, what do you need to talk about? Can you explain what happened to Nimue?”

“No,” Dwyn shrugged, “I have no idea. I’m just worried that it didn’t go very well, at dinner. I’m worried that… you don’t like Kjell very much. You were so happy about Alun, but for some reason when I bring someone home it's different. He's a great guy, really, he's just shy. But he's always nice - I hear he's really Father Fendus' favorite, and he's a terrific archer. Way better than me - not as good as Eldthor, but then, who is? Maybe nobody! Anyway, he's really good.”

“I’m sure he’s fine, Dwynnie, especially if you like him. That’s what counts. He doesn’t have to live here with us.”

“I know, but I want you to like him and be nice to him and stuff, and stop being nosy.”

“It’s hardly “nosy” to want an account of the man. First we heard you had a boyfriend, which was already a surprise, and now you want to get married to this boy we know very little about. They’re from somewhere beyond Kalsgard, but where? Are they all Ulfen? Are they going to expect you to move all the way up there someday and leave us?”

“Mom, they’re not telling us much about their family because they don’t have any other family. All of them died. His brother, his dad, his grandmother, even his dog!”

Isolde gasped. “Dwyn! Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I’m sorry, there was never a good time – so much was going on yesterday, all the food and singing and noise, and it didn’t seem like the right time – like, oh, by the way, everyone’s dead! But carry on with the dancing!” Dwyn shrugged. “It’s hard to talk about – his dad and brother were both murdered by criminals. Pirates, actually." Isolde covered her mouth with a hand in shock. "He told me the story but there's a lot to it. It happened several years ago. I'll tell you later, or he can tell you, but it's a long story. The point is, I don’t think they want to talk about home. It’s why they’re moving east, to find a new home now, somewhere outside the city.”

Isolde had turned very pale. “That explains why I failed... and I wish… well, it’s done now.” She pushed Rosa gently off her lap and stood up. “Look how tall you are next to me!” she said, slipping her arm around Dwyn’s waist. “Almost as tall as your father. His parents were both tall too. You know I’m just trying to protect you. I can’t help worrying.”

“Mom,” Dwyn said, rolling her eyes, “I don’t need…”

“I know, you’re strong, and he’s right, you can even be a little terrifying, if you want to be,” Isolde smiled. “But it’s not easy to know who can be trusted. Your father was like you – many people wanted to hire him, to go on these trips. He fought and he killed – I don’t even know all that happened. It’s not easy to recover from it, to keep yourself whole. I don’t mean physically, I mean you.”

Dwyn nodded. “I know. This last time was probably the hardest. And missing the holidays didn’t help.”

“We missed you too, dear. Well, don’t worry, I will talk to Kjell and everything is going to be okay. I just want to know we can trust him, that he’s going to look after you and that he understands how difficult it might be. And I admit, I’m a little jealous about this move to Turtleback Ferry, because his mother will be with you all the time and I’ll only see you when you travel back here.”

“Oh Mom, you know I’m going to come back all the time, and you have everyone else here. It’s not like the house is ever empty.”

“No, but it’s empty of you, and you were my first baby. I never forget that! So take care of yourself, and make sure Kjell takes care of you too. I know you will be a good wife – you’re so honest, so dependable. But now we had both better get some sleep. I have a lot to get ready for tomorrow, and look how upset Rosa is now! She knows I’m staying up too late. She wants her warming stone in the bed!”

“Okay, goodnight Mom,” Dwyn said, hugging her. She wasn’t sure how, but she knew if her mom said it was going to be okay, then it was going to be okay.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Kjell awoke from a contented dream with an unpleasant start. “Cast it away like old shoes! Cast the bed away!” Gerthin was croaking at the top of his voice, as Karin rolled over toward the wall and buried her face beneath the blanket. Only the faintest light was visible behind thick cloud cover. It looked more like rain than snow, and Kjell was glad they had at least another few nights to stay before traveling in this weather.

Karin pulled herself up, looking like she hadn’t slept much. “Do you have anything here for breakfast, Father, or could I make something?” Gerthin went out, letting all the cold air into the tiny room, and returned with a handful of small eggs. He cracked two of them into his cup and, with an elegant flourish, handed it to her. She blinked for a moment. “Perhaps I could cook up the others you have there,” she suggested, pointing. “Suit yourself,” he replied, before downing the cup in one large gulp and smacking his lips. “Anything losing the proper nourishment will decay,” he chortled, giving her a questionable wink. “Now, to the woodpile!”

Gerthin was running low on firewood and Kjell had offered to help him split more logs. Karin insisted he be done in time to clean up and change into his nicest sweater before going to lunch at the house. “Remember to bring the basket!” she called. “I’m leaving it here by the door.”

Once they were safely occupied, Karin pulled on her warmest hat and extra wraps and slipped away down the path. She wasn’t looking forward to what she had to do. At least she didn’t feel guilty the way she had before, especially at the Lodge. She didn’t trust Dwyn’s mother, but guessed that she might at least understand her perspective in a way that Father Fendus and the others never would have.

She found Isolde already up and stoking a hearty fire in the kitchen. “I see you are up early – it must be a treat, staying with Gerthin. Dwyn is in the stables and the other girls are still sleeping,” she explained. “If you haven’t had breakfast, I’m just taking the porridge out and you’re welcome to join me.”

Karin gratefully accepted. “Today’s menu at the cabin is raw eggs, origin unknown,” she ventured. “Honestly, I’m surprised he doesn’t eat porridge like everyone else.”

“Surely he eats porridge! How could he not?” Isolde stirred some cream and a brown lump of sugar into each of the bowls, handing one to Karin as the huge cat rubbed against her leg. “Oh, how funny!” Isolde exclaimed. “Rosa never likes anyone, but I guess she likes you. Huh, isn’t that funny? I’m afraid she’s getting white hair all over that dark wool.”

Karin reached down to let the cat sniff her. “What a nice kitty. I haven’t had a pet cat since I was a child,” she sighed. “I think I’d like to have a cat.”

“Now, before you say anything else,” Isolde interrupted, “I’m glad we have a moment alone because I owe you an apology.” Karin raised her eyebrows in surprise. “I’m sure you can understand, Dwyn is my eldest daughter and only very recently left home. My husband is gone now these two years and it falls to me to guard the rest. I did not mean to pry unjustly; I only wanted to know if I could trust your son to look after her. I didn’t know what had happened to your family.”

Karin gave a start in surprise and opened her mouth as if to speak, but Isolde went on. “Dwyn told me, yes – not the whole story but just that it happened. I can’t imagine, even after what we have suffered here. My husband was killed too. But I have never endured the loss of a child.” She paused, her eyes filling with tears, as Karin looked down and tried to steel herself. “Anyway, as it is said in the name of the Goddess, “One should never strike first unless it is to protect the innocent.” That’s not an excuse but I hope it is an explanation, at least. I am sorry for what happened at supper last night and I won’t put you or Kjell in a spot like that again.”

“Thank you,” Karin said, faltering a bit. She had set out this morning prepared to explain herself but wasn’t expecting any of this. “As it is said, “The great person does not lose the child's heart.” Sometimes I find it very difficult. It’s easier to hide ourselves and distract others from the things we’d rather not discuss.”

“Well it was hardly the right time to question him, or you,” Isolde admitted. “Maybe we can agree not to ... resort to those methods. I mean that I hope we can trust one another in the future. After all, we will be family soon enough.”

“Agreed,” said Karin. “Definitely. You know, Dwyn is very like my own mother in some ways – she even resembles her a bit, a similar shape of face and nose.”

“Oh yes,” Isolde smiled, “she takes after Anyon, as you see. Spitting image of him. All the others look like my side, especially Nimue – well, you can tell right away that Dwyn’s the only tall one here!”

“Yes, Kjell looks like me, of course, but his brother Finn looked exactly like his father. You know, I met Fergus at church too. My parents lived closer to Kalsgard and he was from the woods. I thought he was so coarse at first, so backward – my friends and I used to make fun of him – but I soon learned how clever he was. There was no problem he couldn’t solve. But he was too trusting. He didn’t see the danger in people.”

“Not the fault of his trusting,” said Isolde. “But the fault of wicked men who don’t believe in trust, who never cared for justice.”

Karin dabbed her eyes on her sleeve. “You speak the truth. Kjell is too like him sometimes, like his father. He’s an honest man, he’s always been such a sweet boy, so good to me. He will always care for your daughter; he never does wrong. But I’m afraid I cannot say the same for myself.” Karin paused and Isolde held her breath, wondering what she might mean. “When the time came that I could take my vengeance on the guilty, I took it. And I was not sorry.” Tears rolled down her cheek as she spoke. “Those who struck down my firstborn and my husband had to suffer for their crimes. To suffer penance, you understand? I made sure of it. But I promise you, Kjell knew nothing of this; he would have chosen to bring them to justice the… proper way. The way I should have done. But I had to be sure, and maybe you can understand, the other way is never certain.”

Isolde nodded somberly, her eyes wide. “I’m so sorry,” she said, clasping her hand over the other woman’s. “I understand you perfectly. And you had to protect Kjell from this, too.”

Karin took in a deep breath. “Thank you. I never hoped anyone would understand, but it lifts a great burden from me to know you would not blame Kjell for what I have done.”

“Of course not,” whispered Isolde. “If anything, I’m ashamed to have so little of your courage. We don’t even know what happened to Anyon, and maybe I would be afraid to find out. Not for myself, no – I burn to know why! I’ve tried everything, looked at every angle, but there’s nothing. Sometimes I’m afraid of how much this rage consumes me. But I fear more for Dwyn. If we found something – anything at all - then she would… well, you see how it is. Whoever came here for him that day, couldn’t they do the same to her? It’s bad enough that she’s followed in her father’s footsteps, but he always trained her to fight, to be like him.”

Karin wished she could think of something reassuring to say, but at that moment Dwyn herself came through the back door into the kitchen. “Whooo! It’s colder than an iron rail in the outhouse,” she announced, before seeing Karin sitting at the table with her mother. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she said, “I was just coming in for breakfast. Hope you have some of that porridge?” Isolde got up to fill a bowl and Dwyn took her chair. “What?! I can’t believe Rosa likes you! She doesn’t like anyone but mom, trust me,” Dwyn said, moving her mittened hand closer to the cat, who stiffened immediately. “Just kidding, Rosa, I’m too smart to pet you. I’ve never seen her sit on anyone else’s lap before.”

“Well, Dwyn, there are a lot of things you don’t know about Rosa,” Isolde admonished, setting the porridge down. “She’s a very good cat indeed,” agreed Karin.

Return to “Runelords”