Entering Runeforge

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Entering Runeforge

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Last edited by Tahlvin on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Entering Runeforge

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Anna is going to cast an identify before resting to help with the disposition of the few items whose powers have not yet been established:

(rolls from Roll20)

a belt with giant carved into the buckle (moderate transmutation) - 37
a handheld chime (moderate abjuration) - 51
a pearl (strong transmutation) - 44
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Illian could do with a CSW potions and a couple of the CMWs as well. The wand of Bear Endurance would also be useful if he is able to use wands.

I might want the cloak of resistance to replace my cloak of elvenkind (or I could switch between them.) but I will acquiesce it to others. I don't think I'll want to replace my dexterity belt though....
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Anna has a cloak of resistance +5, so she isn't interested in the cloak.

She could use any of the wands, but it might make more sense for the other casters to have them so if we decide to buff we can all cast spells faster.

The scroll of Globe Of Invulnerability probably makes more sense to go to Anna. I need to make a note on my sheet of the scrolls that she's carrying.

If the pearl is a Pearl Of Power, it should probably go to Sam, so she can get back more healing spells per day.

EDIT: Also, because she has the spell now, Anna will cast Secure Shelter so we have a good place to rest while we wait to enter Runeforge... (I absolutely love this spell... I'm actually excited to cast it)
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:39 pm

The plate with ravens isn't magical, right?

Kay would take a CSW and a CMW. She already has her own wand of Bear's Endurance and has only used a couple of charges. (How many combats have we had since we got here? Two?) She would take the wand of MM CL-5, though she rarely remembers to use the CL-3 one she has. (She also has a base level one, but that's a pea-shooter...)

Also, it doesn't look like I ever put the 80 durable arrows that I crafted during the down time on my character sheet... AND... crafting while traveling... that gives you 2 hours of time per day? so, with 10 days since we shopped in Magnimar and I picked up the special arrows I was wanting to make durable... that gives me 20 hours of crafting time... Assuming Dothan is singing (giving a competency bonus +4) during those times and I enlist my husband to help (+2) and maybe Dwyn's "Aid Another" (+3) (if everybody is alright with helping...) that would give me a +9 to my rolls... So, I would then need to roll ten times, and divide each by 4, and see if they add up to any multiples of 600 to see if I could make the two adamantine ones that I have durable... So...
Rolls:
38 = 38*25=950/4=237
41 = 41*25=1025/4=256 total = 493
37 = 37*25=925/4=231 total = 524
39 = 39*25=975/4=243 total = 767 1st arrow done -600 total = 167
38 = 38*25=950/4=237 total = 404
36 = 36*25=900/4=225 total = 629 2nd arrow done -600 total = 29 switch to Elysian Bronze (Cost 200 per arrow 20 arrows)
37 = 37*25-925/4=231 total = 260 1 arrow done -200 total = 60
24 no progress
37 = 37*25-925/4=231 total = 291 1 arrow done -200 total = 91
30 = 30*25=750/4=187 Total = 278 1 arrow done -200 total = 78 one arrow partially finished.

So, total travel crafting: 2 durable adamantine arrows and three durable Elysian Bronze arrows... and one day when Eldthor's shoulders were too much of a distraction... (If this is OK, I'll adjust my character sheet accordingly. And Eldthor should as well, since these will go to HIM... I just need to delete the non durable ones from MY sheet...)

EDIT: Kay really likes her Sorcerer's robe, so the cloak of resistance isn't really that much of a draw...

EDIT: CORRECTION! Looking at my character sheet, I bought THREE Adamantine Arrows, not TWO, so I can do all three of them... so,
Rolls:
38 = 38*25=950/4=237
41 = 41*25=1025/4=256 total = 493
37 = 37*25=925/4=231 total = 524
39 = 39*25=975/4=243 total = 767 1st arrow done -600 total = 167
38 = 38*25=950/4=237 total = 404
36 = 36*25=900/4=225 total = 629 2nd arrow done -600 total = 29
37 = 37*25-925/4=231 total = 260
24 no progress
37 = 37*25-925/4=231 total = 491
30 = 30*25=750/4=187 Total = 678 1 arrow done -600 total Switch to Elysian Bronze Total left = 78 one arrow partially finished.
Last edited by Zen on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Hal would be interested in the shield (an upgrade of 1, plus lighter) and the cloak if nobody else wants it.
We should also check to see if the belt is just saleable or an upgrade for anyone.
Hal has a +2 right now, not sure what Dwyn or everyone else has. I'm guessing strength because of the carvings of giants.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:32 pm

The belt is a belt of giant strength +4.

The chime is a chime of opening with 5 charges.

The pearl is a pearl of power (1st level).

The suit of full-plate decorated with onyx ravens on the shoulders is nonmagical, but it is masterwork.

The coinage consists of 39,500 cp, 9,410 sp, 3,500 gp, and 250 pp.

There are 14 masterwork arrows.

There are six everburning torches, 6 vials of holy water in vials marked with Abadar's holy symbol (currently froze), and a teak box holding a felt cushion with six round depressions, each containing a thunderstone.

There are tapestries, small items of furniture made of precious woods, delicate pieces of jewelry, fine works of art, silverware, candelabras, and several decorative jewelry boxes. This will total about another 16,000 gp worth of loot.

It is worth noting that you're not going to be able to just pick all of this stuff up and haul it with you. You will probably have to come back with some sort of transportation to carry it all.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Kay also has a +2 belt of G-Str. Hmmm... I could have compared the level of magic from my belt (whether it was faint or moderate) last night to get an idea of whether it was about the same or stronger, I suppose... But I didn't think of it until now... And, well, Anna is kind of like an identify spell for most things...

Hmmm... so without selling any magical items, we're talking just under 23,336... Before selling dragon parts... Which we'll want to do... Oh, and Illian should put his medallion on the dragon before joining us... (since, you know, he wasn't quite with us...)
Last edited by Zen on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 pm

The belt would bring Hal's strength to 24 (+7)

I was just catching up on the stuff I was in and out for or missed entirely. Who took the ink and pen from the scribble guy, and was there anything cool to it? If it's scroll making , we could use some of the travel time for writing them. (I think Sam and Am could burn through scrolls more energetically than we have and not worry about their carried spell budgets so much. Can Paladins read scrolls?)
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 am

I've updated the initial post with the identified items, and which items I can tell for certain have been claimed/assigned.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:56 am

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:37 am

Hal's defense
AC 35 (after Darkwood +3 shield)

Celestial Plate (Nice fly feature, but also illusion of lighter armor, which lets me take my whole dex. I was also worried about eventually not drawing attacks if they thought they couldn't hit. I'm radiating good, and wading into the melee, and I don't feel Darcs would meta that way, but I don't know what monster psychology the module supplies about targeting)
Dodge and Shield focus for 1 each
Amulet of natural armor +1
Ring of protection +2. should give this to Thor, maybe buy one.( My expectation is that we'll be fighting mostly wizard guys inside, so armor, weapons not likely to show up in loot, but rings etc, are probable)

Looking to pick up resistance items (that cloak) etc, to avoid spell induced paralysis or other things that take Hal out of combat.
One feature of the crown of swords on the wish list is increased threat vs casters.

Offense
+2 adamantine longsword
+2 disruption morningstar
Long Comp (+4 str) no hit upgrade

Longsword is pretty traditional, scimitar may have fit char better, but it wasn't on the radar. Increased critical chance worth it? IDK
+19 to hit with no buffs (upgraded belt would make that an even 20)
Damage plus is presently +8

Smite makes this +3 to hit and +5 damage (double on first round vs evil outsiders)
Attack Feats: Blind fight (came in handy several times)
Combat Reflexes, up to 4 AoO
Improved disarm
Disarming strike

Ill never put out what Dwyn can in a single strike, unless I get a solid smite, but it's a constant flow of enough damage to get past even pretty good DR or fast healing. And the AC makes it more likely to outlast them.

Typical buffs:
Eagle's Splendor amps all my specials, so a charisma headband would also be useful.
Bull's Strength adds reliability and damage
When I joined we were light on cleric capacity, so I have been casting bless and lesser restoration, but I think that's no longer the way to go. We have dedicated healers that are way better at it.
So, moving to Divine Favor and Bless weapon which increase to hit and bypass some things higher level guys might have.
Also Fire of entanglement (which is a swift action)
Angelic aspect
Good Hope. Which is amped bless.
I don't get to use every one every day, but I'm on the hunt for swift or immediate spells to have better combat impact.

Next feat?
There's one that allows me to know other class spells, like True Strike, which would make that first smite really count. The one downside with this feat is that I don't have many spells per day to begin with, but I'm open to any suggestions

Shopping?
Looking perhaps for that atmospheric necklace (It allows water breathing and negates gas)
I can wear clothing over the armor
Gauntlets, boots, etc are open
I'd love to invent a sticky silence ball that quiets casters, maybe a sling stone wrapped in burdock, or a magnetic arrowhead. As you can see, I'm worried a little. Casters are squishy at low levels, but Anna is AC 30, and these guys we're looking for were the S*** 10k years ago. Shutting them down will be critical.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm

So, keeping up with the trend, here's some info on Anna's defensive capabilities, as her non-magical offensive capabilities are basically limited to throwing a dagger.

AC: 30 (+6 Dex bonus - Dex score of 23 - 18 to start, accounting for racial bonus, +2 belt, +3 from Enhancement subschool bonus) Robe Of Runes - +4 AC bonus, Deft Defense (allows adding INT bonus (+9) as a dodge bonus to AC as long as character is wearing no armor) Ring of Protection +1

Anna will likely start encounters moving forward with a casting of Stoneskin, giving her DR 10/Adamantine, which will last until it has absorbed 110 points of damage or lasted 110 minutes, whichever comes first. Last trip to Magnimar she purchased 1000 gp worth of diamond dust, which will last for 4 castings.

In terms of offensive spells, she's not really loaded to bear. She has access to some utility spells, such as dismissal, and some one-shot save or die effects, like Baleful Polymorph, but things like Ice Storm and Fireball are REALLY hard to use the way that we do combat currently without smacking around teammates.

In transferring my character sheet to its new home though, I realized something. She has access to temporary buffs to augment fellow party members, providing either a +4 ability score buff OR a +3 stacking natural armor bonus. This is honestly something I forgot about completely that I should REALLY use more often. Its a standard action, which takes away SOME of the utility, but not a ton. Someone remind me of this next time we're in combat. She can do this 12 times a day, and the buff lasts 6 rounds each time its used.

Her arcanist abilities provide some utility against opposing spellcasters with the counterspell and greater counterspell abilities. I can provide more info on those if you all are curious about them.

In terms of shopping, there's not a lot she's interested in aside from perhaps a big purchase, like a dusty rose prism or orange prism ioun stone.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Illian is shiny, sharp and squishy.

I still have a negative modifier to Constitution and no bonus to strength, so my skill comes in hitting often and with a heightened critical threat range. My secondary skills are my scouting abilities with stealth (+30), perception (+24) and acrobatics (+23) that are off the charts.

AC is 28 or 30 (after a full round attack). That comes from size, Dex (+7) +2 Darkleaf armor, a ring of protection +2, Dodge and Two-weapon Defense. Defensive flurry gives me the extra +2.

I hit things... I try and hit things a lot.

Before buffs my AB is +18/18/13/13 (or 19/19/19/14/14 with just haste.) That's from a pair of Mithral Short Swords +1, Weapon Focus, greater weapon focus, weapon finesse and twin blades. With minuses from two weapon fighting and piranha strike (which boosts damage.)

My damage before buffs is 1d4+11/1d4+8 and a threat range of 17-20/x2 and +4 to confirm threats. I also get a +1d6 Sneak Attack, but in general that doesn't add much to my overall output (since it doesn't double on criticals).

With buffs, my typical attack is: +23/23/23/18/18 1d4+14/1d4+11

That's with haste, bard song and my trait that gives me a BAB when I stand next to allies.

So...I am singularly focused, but I feel like a solid contributor in combat situations. I did, according to Pat, take down an entire stoneskin spell by myself over something like 3 rounds. I am, however, most useful when I am standing near allies and receiving buffs from bard song and others. I feel like, while I don't have Dwyn's burst damage, I am comparable in sustained damage output. I don't have the numbers to back this up, because I haven't written them down or crunched them.

Future feats: Greater Two-weapon fighting will let me have six attacks before haste. The Improved Critical feat tree will let me do even more damage when I hit and possibly stagger and do ability damage to foes.

Future equipment: agile blades. +7 to both hands of damage? Okay. Better armor and enhancement bonuses on the weapons would also be nice.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:59 pm

If the identify is still active, Anna rolls a 49 to identify the quill. If it is not and I can use the same roll, its a 39, or I can reroll it.

Identify is 3 rounds per level, so if its been more than a half hour since the identification of the other items, then I can reroll.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Anna notices that while she holds the quill in one hand, it feels strangely heavy. It takes her a while to identify all the properties of this quill. Heavy duty magic here.

The simplest property is first. If the quill is left in empty ink vial (or similarly sized container) and left there for an hour, it will fill the container with ink (50% black, 50% another random color).

Once per day, if the user of the quill concentrates on a specific future goal, activity, or event coming within the next week, the quill will take over and write out a short phrase in response, often in the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen, similar to the effects of a divination spell.

Once per week, the user can concentrate even further and ask up to 10 questions of the mysterious intellect that guides the quill, as if casting a contact other plane spell.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 am

Holy cats. or peacocks....we have brought the library with us.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Last edited by Zen on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18 am

rather than upgrade snakeskin, is there a totally different armor that would give you the benefits you're looking for? Once you get into upgrades, the expense makes it worth just figuring out best fit for your character and going for it. The same question might be put to Eldthor. There might be better sets of armor for Hal, but I recall a point where they're too expensive or out of reach, and they fell off my radar. Worth the thought experiment though.

Return to “Runelords”