Neth 19/20 Roleplay Thread

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Neth 19/20 Roleplay Thread

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 am

[I'm starting this thread to allow folks to post up in character RP posts for the night after the battle with the giants, including any talk with Illian. :) ]
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: Neth 19/20 Roleplay Thread

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 am

As they make camp for the night, and Eldthor gets a quiet moment to talk to Illian...

"Uncle Illian, I apologize for making that remark earlier about Axe. You're right, I was a bit of an ass to say that. With what you had just been through, and all that you have been through up until now, I certainly understand your need for time and space to think. I was worried about you, I was a bit angry that you abandoned Kay while the two of you were on patrol, and probably remember some of the stinging rebukes dealt to me by Axe for acting from my heart rather than my head. So I lashed out a bit, and for that I am sorry.

"I hope you know how much you mean to all of us. Sure, you mean a lot to the folks in The Company, but you mean more to Kay and I in particular. We've known for quite awhile, back when I was working as a guide in the area, and when Kay fled from Riddleport. Dothan's parents' inn became like a second home to us, Kay especially, and you were as much of a parent to the two of us as Hedda and Akif were. We haven't always said it, but we do look up to you. Figuratively I mean," letting out a bit of a laugh as he looks down at the halfling. "It pained us to see you get hurt and tossed around by those giants, literally, and it pained us to have you turn your back on us while we're still out in unfamiliar territory.

"I certainly understand if you need more 'alone time' to process what has happened. But if you want to do that, I just ask that you let somebody know before you head off, and perhaps you let Kay cast Message between the two of you so we can reach you if we need to, and you can reach us if you need help. If anything more happened to you, Dothan would try to kill Kay and I!"
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:54 am

While Illian and Eldthor are talking, Dwyn tells Anna and Sam how glad she is they decided to make the trip back west with the group. "Without you two we wouldn't have killed the dragon or the giants, and" - she drops her voice to a solemn whisper - "we could have lost Illian. I blame myself for that - we should have done a better job. Hal probably would have been disappointed," she adds, shaking her head.

"Anyway, a while back when we were in Sandpoint, back when we had some other friends working with us, someone came up with this name, the Troubleshooters. We signed a paper and everything. Well, we've been through a lot together now, don't you think? We're our own new group now." Dwyn isn't really sure where to go with this next, so falls silent.

Later she gives Illian a gentle thump on the back. "Glad to see you back to yourself again! For a while there we were pretty worried. Gotta make sure that never happens again - maybe we need to do some more practicing together. We could work out some kind of new thing - maybe you hit them low while I aim higher? I don't know, we'll see." If he feels like talking, she'll stay to chat for a bit. Otherwise she heads off to sit under a tree and say her hour of prayers.

After several minutes of nervous, jittery thoughts - replaying the scene where she let her guard down for a split second and got hit, and of course flashing back to the ugly image of Illian's body flying through the air - she finally calms down enough to focus her mind and send a silent message: "Elk Father, you've helped us so much over these past months. I can't even believe the things we've seen and the places we've been. But now there's someone out there who wants to hurt Sandpoint, and I know you want me to stop that from happening. I know that's why you led us back here in time, to stop that dragon and all the rest. Help me figure out what to do next, how to prepare for whatever might be coming. Maybe we need something new - maybe I need to try something new. I was getting comfortable. I was proud, thinking I could rush in swinging and automatically have things go my way, like a branch that just can't bend..."

Suddenly she stops short. Anyone sitting near enough would hear her make a little involuntary gasp and mutter aloud, "I get it now, I think I finally get it! The Wisdom of the Archer... 'When the wind blows, the grass bends.' Of course - it bends. Okay, I'm going to bed. Thank you, Father!" And with that, she hops into her bedroll, laying a little farther away from the fire because she likes the cooler air at night.

Dwyn wakes up before dawn to take the last night-time watch, and uses the opportunity to stretch and experiment a little with Ax's old sword. The mention of his name yesterday must have put the notion in her mind. Before the others start waking up, she pulls out some apples to share for breakfast. Then she goes back to the tree and sits for a while, watching her friends wake up and blowing gently on a little piece of grass in her hands. After a while she picks a longer piece of grass and, holding it between her thumbs, tries to make it sound by pursing her lips and blowing. The odd buzzing noise draws a few quizzical glances, but Dwyn just smiles to herself, realizing that she has finally learned how to ask Erastil to "detect charms" on people. Just for fun, and just in case, she quietly practices casting the spell on the whole group.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Kay watches her husband take Uncle Il aside for a chat and decides to give them space. She goes into an clearing and practices some sword techniques for a bit, working up a bit of a sweat with some acrobatic moves that she probably wouldn't use in actual combat unless she was trying to avoid getting hit while moving through the fray.

I'm glad they are talking... I know El was upset, but I also know that I'm no match for Illian's stealth any day of the week! I understand El getting upset, but it was my idea to go with Illian and I knew I wouldn't be able to find him if he didn't want me to... I've always just relied on my natural gifts when it comes to stealth. Sure, I've learned a few tricks here and there. You have to when you do the type of work I used to, and Illian's taught me more than those jokers in Riddleport ever even knew about being stealthy, but that doesn't mean I can keep up with the master! Even if I work hard at trying to be observant and not get distracted, I mean, I'm not as bad as Dothan or anything, but I'm not a natural like Eldthor or Illian. What I'd like to see is if Illian could lose Eldthor in the forest... That would be a challenge worth the price of admission!

Kay isn't sure, but she feels like her strikes are slightly faster than they used to be. She feels like she could do the type of thing that Dwyn and Illian do now when they stand and fight, when they would swing twice for every one of her swings. It feels good, but that means standing in one place and she knows what Eldthor will think about that. If she suggests she place herself in position in battle where she can take advantage of this new blade speed he is not going to be happy... Because standing and fighting means getting hit. Even with her mage armor and her shock shield and her barrier spell that lasts for such a damned short time, she still is too vulnerable.

The same hits that Dwyn took in this battle with the giants that hurt her plenty might have killed me. Those rocks that hit Eldthor... If I had taken all of those, I would have been in just as bad of shape as I was with the Barghest*... Of course, some of them wouldn't have hit me, but most of them would have. Most of those throws would have hit ANYONE! I just am too fragile to stand and fight the way Dwyn and Illian do. Illian is too, damn it, but he doesn't seem to care!

She looks at her rapier.

At least my new sword is getting its licks in! This Keen point was worth the money! It really does pierce nicely! Now if I could just get my spells to do more! I feel like I'm on the verge of something more... I just need more power...

She sheaths her sword, stands with her feet at shoulder width, her hands hanging loosely at her side, and concentrates. She rolls her head from one side to the other, then closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. Then she opens her eyes, rotates her right arm as if to throw a punch, and steps forward with her right foot while thrusting her arm forward with her palm open. At that moment, there is a crackling in the air and a bolt of electricity shoots forward 40 feet ahead of Kay, and she is standing at the end of the bolt, little arcs of electricity playing through her hair that is standing out from her body, then calms down and floats back into its normal waves. Behind her is a 40 foot swath of charred grass and bushes five feet wide. She lets out a lout "WHOOP" and leaps in the air and yells, "I DID IT! YES!"

Then she realizes that everyone is staring at her. "Oh... Hey guys... I just figured out a new spell... You like it?"

*Literally - I checked and Eldthor's pre-level-up HP minus what I recalled his HP being when we started the healing process would have left me at -9 with the false life spell, However, that might have been AFTER his first potion of healing, so it might have actually been enough damage to kill me...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:12 pm

The halfling looks up at the ranger, his face stone, ready for a fight. The moment is fleeting and his features soften.

"I know why everyone is blaming themselves for..." he trails off and points at his leg, the armor still torn and the skin pink from the healing, "And I can understand why you're upset with me, but I think you know your wife better than that. She's impulsive, and headstrong, which you deserve, but she's not stupid. Far from it. And more than capable, just as you are. Being angry with me for leaving her behind means that there is, however small, a doubt that you do not trust her, and that is a foolish, foolish thing. She loves you, and you love her and that will keep you both safe, not some crotchety halfling. Even if I'm pointy. Trust her, Eldthor. She is strong."

He pauses for a moment, staring deep into the fire.

"I'm not used to needing looking after. And it hasn't been that long since I started travelling with people...any people, again. Things are changing," he taps his temple, "But it takes a while for this old halfling to learn new tricks. And even longer for him to realize that his friends would do the same for him, that he would for them. I'm not used to being healthy. I'm not used to being whole," he sighs, "To being more than expendable."

They sit in silence again as the fire cracks and pops.

"Do you know what kept me alive all those years on the road? Hedda. We loved each other so very much, but duty is a harsh master, and he had other plans. She made her choice, and she made the promise. But her smile. Her touch. Her laugh. I lived for her when I could not live for myself. You will see this, I think, when the love is old and tough, like good leather. But now, when the love is green and tender...you think I left her defenseless."

There is a whoop from Kay, and the smell of charred grass and hair.

"I think you are mistaken."
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."

Return to “Runelords”