What Are You Reading?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What Are You Reading?

Postby Elle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm reading a book right now for "leisure" reading called . I'm not very far into the book but I'm not pleased with some of the overly dramatic and not very well-founded claims made. However, I'm keeping an open mind because the style is clearly "exhortative" and I suppose certain allowances must be made. I will report back with additional details later.

I recently read a book for "leisure" called "", by Debra Moore and Temple Grandin. Although I do not have kids I would label as on the "spectrum", I have kids with unusual ways of thinking and I was hoping that reading a different perspective on child raising would be useful. This turned out to be correct, not only because it gave me some great insight into how my kids might be thinking and what I could do to give a "loving push" in various ways, but it helped me understand myself a lot better. I do not think I'm on the "spectrum" either, at least as I've seen it defined, but I recognized a lot of things about myself in this book and found the advice for how to deal with this strange sort of cephalopod brain quite insightful. If I had a kid who was diagnosed or otherwise considered to be on the "spectrum" I would not go without this book.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:09 pm

I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, so I just polished the first two issues of the X-Men from '63. (And they're rereads.) I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time going through that.

As I head up to bed, I'll probably end up finishing David Eddings' Domes of Fire tonight, then start on the second book of the Tamuli. (Again, rereads.)

On my phone, I often forget that I have a book on there, but if I know I'm going to be unoccupied for awhile and only have my phone on me, and no headphones to listen to podcasts, I'll read something. I'm going through the complete Oz series right now.

On my recently finished list: The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft (oh, you Runelords players are in for it), Stephen King's 11/22/63. To be read soon: the rest of the Tamuli trilogy, probably followed up by either a collection of urban legends, or a big-ass book of Asian mythology. I'm probably also going to be re-reading some portions of a textbook on using essays as a form of student assessment. And I do also have to read a ton of Pathfinder stuff that I haven't gotten to yet, most notably Bestiary 5 and Mythic Adventures. And then there's the high school Economics textbook I have in the downstairs bathroom.... too much to read.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 am

I'm in the midst of re-reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the enhanced version on my iPad, looking for the new little tidbits from the author and the moving pictures, etc.

I'm also reading:
- Retire Inspired from Chris Hogan.
- Seven Lies about Catholic History by Diane Moczar.
- The Lincoln Myth by Steve Berry.

I can never read just one book at a time.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:08 am

I've been reading Ann Leckie's Ancillary Sword. I really liked the first book in the trilogy, although I thought the ending was a bit of a let down. So far, book 2 is really good.

Next up is Rubicon, a history of the end of the Roman Republic.
Last edited by akiva on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reel on a repeating loop
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:26 am

The international building code. Really riveting.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 am

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 am

I have a couple books that I'm partially through at the moment. I never finish one and start another. I usually start one, put it down, pick up another one, and continue the cycle. They're all good, but none of them are new...

Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit
Jonathan Lopez' The Man Who Made Vermeers - A really fascinating book about Hans Van Meegeren
Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel - great read
Bruce Schneier's Practical Cryptography - keeping sharp

I'd really like to read 11/22/63, so I may swing by Darcs' place to borrow it at some point in the near future.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm

I barely get to read, and am jealous of my husband in that respect. However, thanks to my beloved Audible.com I can at least "read" books in between podcasts. Right now I'm reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and I HIGHLY recommend them. I finished the first trilogy and am on Alloy of Law right now, which takes place 2 or 3 hundred years after the first ones. Great character development (especially in the female protagonists), and very well done dialog.

I was also reading a really good YA series (The Nornworld Trilogy by some guy named Kyle Jones) but as the third book in the trilogy isn't finished yet I'm languishing over here. :provoke: These are in Ebook format which I read on my kindle app while rocking my son to sleep.

When I do have rare moments to pick up a physical book, I'm working on the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Hayden, another high/epic fantasy series. So very good, totally recommend.

oh, and I'm always re-reading one of L.M. Mongomery's books. They are food for my soul and I have read them so many times that I can read a few pages or a chapter and then successfully set them down til the next time I have a minute. I don't think I could emotionally make it without those books in my life.
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:01 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

by JRR Tolkien
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

I picked up Reanimators a while ago - not fun. I can't tell if it's the 20's style educated narration or the fact that it's a pastiche of other HP Lovecraft stories that sets me off.

I just got Monstrous today - a little YA horror/anti-hero goodness that should turn things around.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:20 am

Nadia Jaen
Pastry Artisan

Postby Nadia Jaen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:15 am

I am reading Stephan King's 11/22/63. I think I am really enjoying it, but I have been reading it for the last 5 months and still at only 65%, so maybe I'm not.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 am

I would guess your life is busy enough that this is not necessarily a negative sign!
Nadia Jaen
Pastry Artisan

Postby Nadia Jaen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22 am

Elle,

Mistborn is absolutely cool for junior high, if they are good readers (which I would assume any child of yours would be), Symphony of Ages has some explicitness that made me blush a lot so I wouldn't go with those. <3
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:38 am

Good to know! I will ask her if she's ever read the Mistborn series and if not shall order them posthaste!
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:25 pm

I need to get back on the reading horse. I picked up 'Monstrous' which is YA horror. Maybe this week.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Reading Zero K by Don DeLillo. It's very good, and has a sci-fi bent as the story is loosely about a cryogenics project. If anyone has enjoyed any of his previous work I highly recommend it.

Return to “Nerd Talk”