Strategy Games

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Strategy Games

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
TheMaster
Happy Medium

Re: Strategy Games

Postby TheMaster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am

I just looked up a video. seems pretty interesting. I dont know if i could get anyone to play it with me. I am in a position where i have a lack of participation. :?
Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 am

I never had Tactics II, but I had/have quite a few old war games. The problem is that the games I like best, like Advanced Third Reich, Federation and Empire, Empires in Arms, and Imperium Romanum can take literally 40+ hours to play. I don't have the time or the space to leave it set up. It's also hard to find opponents. There is software for electronic maps that you can email back and forth to run the game, but it's a bit of a hassle so I don't bother. It'd would be nice if the software could calculate logistics and power ratios for you - the market for most of the games is too small to warrant the investment.

I usually content myself with a computer version of Axis and Allies. You can do multiplayer but I play against the computer to blow off steam. In addition to mutliple variant maps for the standard WWII game, there are maps for WWI, Napoleonic, LOTR, Star Wars, and a bunch of others, all with the same basic rules so they're easy to pick up. The AI is pretty good and you can set how much of a handicap the AI gets. It's a real open source success.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

Yep, Diplomacy fell in that realm: it was fun to play a weekend-long game during college, when we could go that long without sleep But it's hard to find players and time to do that sort of thing now. So I took up playing Civilization to scratch that itch.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:45 pm

I love strategy board games, and especially wargames. The only way I'm able to play wargames these days is Vassal--it's a free program that's like a virtual representation of the (including maps and pieces). You can record your move and email it to an opponent. I love it.
Reel on a repeating loop
TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:51 pm

That sounds awesome. Ill have to look into that.
Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan

Postby Pdyx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Twilight Struggle is a pretty darn good strategy game, but it suffers from the fact that it's fairly complicated and takes a while to learn the rules. It's two-player only, which can be nice, or not depending on your situation. My wife and I play it from time to time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Struggle
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Is that like vampires vs. werewolves?
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Reel on a repeating loop

Return to “Nerd Talk”