Oscars: Nominate a Sixth Song

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Oscars: Nominate a Sixth Song

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Experiment.
Here are the nominees for best song Oscar this year:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la ... story.html

“City of Stars,” 'La La Land'
“Audition (The Fools Who Dream),” 'La La Land'
“Can't Stop The Feeling!," ' Trolls'
“The Empty Chair,” 'Jim: The James Foley Story'
“How Far I'll Go,” 'Moana'

Take a listen, and if you heard an equally good song from a film this year, nominate it below!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Oscars: Nominate a Sixth Song

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Heathens!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can only assume the dates were wrong or something? Otherwise they were totally robbed. That is by far the most popular song to emerge from a movie this year, by major orders of magnitude.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:11 pm

"Can't Stop the Feeling!" sold 4 million copies in the US and was the best selling single in 2016. "Heathens" sold 1.7 million. All the rest, I'll grant you, did not sell well or at all, with "How Far I'll Go", my fav of the listed, reaching 41 on the charts.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:57 pm

That surprises me! I would have thought it was the other way around. Heathens has dominated the radio here since it came out and shows no sign of stopping, but my impression is likely distorted because more stations play that song (it's on rock radio and pop stations) and only the pop stations play Timberlake. I think it must at least have been on top of the charts longer or something - Can't Stop the Feeling was like the "summer song".
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Heathens, and the movie it comes from, need to go die in a fire. After an atomic blast. Right after the anti-matter planet killer wipes out everybody associated with both.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 pm

I love it though! The song, not the movie. I started filtering everything he writes through the lens of "Evangelical Christian who has problems with some of the hostile, repressive Christianity I encountered in my youth, but still wants to do the evangelical Christian thing." Now it all makes sense.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am

I love "How Far I'll Go" so much. Moana is a wonderful movie.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

Popstar's whole soundtrack was robbed. I'll go with I'm So Humble:

Ditto for Sing Street. Should still be on Netflix:

Sausage Party (NSFW):

And last but not least, the montage from Swiss Army Man:
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 pm

So this is part of a podcast idea of mine, called re(a)ward, and I'm happy that you are all taking part in seeing if this would work.

We completed step 1: nominate others.
step 2: vote on official 6th song
step 3: pick a song to kick out from the original 5
step 4: re(a)ward the award

Step 2: 6th song nominees:
Heathens ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprcpdwuwCg )
I'm so Humble
Drive it Like You Stole It
The Great Beyond
Montage

To keep it to a nice 5, I'll exclude my pick, Shiny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Oh man, I didn't mean to hijack all the spots. You should definitely include Shiny over Montage, which I listed kind of tongue-in-cheek. It's not even really a full song, although it is hilarious.

I will stand by Popstar and Sausage Street. Flawless parodies.

That said I'll vote for Drive it Like You Stole It. Sing Street really did get robbed IMO. I really recommend the movie. (If y'all remember the movie Once, which did win Best Song a couple years ago...this is the same director).

Return to “Nerd Talk”