Episode 200 - All the Love

All the podcasts and stuffs created by our awesome community!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Episode 200 - All the Love

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 am

Episode 200! Wow! To celebrate, Mike does a Fingertips episode. There’s Starfinder, and a new Starfinder actual-play podcast--Cosmic Crit. He talks about his spirit animal: Kumail Nanjiani, and whines about how now is the season for too much good television. There’s a minor rant about the comments on math nerd videos, a brief talk about tribalism, and then previews his upcoming episode on time travel movies. And that’s just for openers. Then it’s R2 time, and he delivers a full dozen brand-new, listener-submitted Pod-O-Matic questions. From the golden age of television (now) to Mike’s most annoying habits to traffic jams and Biscoff Spread to the best roleplaying game characters Mike has made and never played. Plus a half-dozen more. And after all of this, there’s nothing but love in the Listener Betrayal to top off the show.

Enjoy!

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Episode 200 - All the Love

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 am

I get to listen to this as I make up my third Starfinder character on work's dime.

I've got Julak Plain-Talker the priestly Vesk Envoy of Weydan and "Boomer" Y'rch the outlaw Shirren Mechanic who like explosives a bit [img]too[/img] much.

Who's next? Probably somebody who can straight-up whomp on people.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:38 pm

You know, your discussion on good movies and your discussion on tribalism actually go together I think. This thought just came to me so I'm still working it out. But the idea that we think something is 'good' or something is 'bad' is often dependent on the tastes and proclivities of the groups that we associate with. I know for me personally, I often talk myself out of liking things or not liking things so that I'm maintaining likes based on those around me. This is not a great way to go about doing things, and I don't like it in myself, but it is one that I find happens with a good amount of regularity. And I can imagine this also happens to other people.

I mean, for Art to even get to the point where it is created for mass consumption, it had to get approved and studied by a huge number of people, SOMEONE liked this horrible movie, and if you do like it, you cannot possibly be alone in your liking of something.

That's my opinion about art, anyway, if you hate something, that's fine, but allow people the opportunity to like it on their own. Tell them the history, tell them how the piece works, but leave the judgment calls -- "This is the greatest piece of all time!" -- out of it. Just by changing the phrase to, "This is my favorite piece." You are giving people the space to formulate their own opinion. So even if they don't like the work, you haven't belittled them for not agreeing with the statement about it "being the greatest of all time." Who cares? Love something, let your love of something infect the people you're talking to. Let them make up their own mind. It works!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Good words, Eli. I agree. I will read this and revisit the topic on another episode. Thank you.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

It just came out on streaming today. I purchased it through Amazon. I will watch it soon.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Good!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 am

So good. They have a fair shot at Best Original Screenplay for that.

Return to “Nerd Pride Network”