Can We Stop With the Kimono?

All the podcasts and stuffs created by our awesome community!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Can We Stop With the Kimono?

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm

I know you don't mean it this way, and it's just a phrase you lifted from another podcast (I think you said 538). But I'm not comfortable with the "Open the kimono" turn of phrase, which you use to mean "look behind the curtain."

And hear me out, because it's not that I think you harbor any bad intent, but the phrase makes me cringe every time. In modern Japan, kimonos are predominantly worn by women. The phrase, "open the kimono" has this creepy objectification to it that makes me uncomfortable. Like it's "Ooooo... let's pull up the robe and see the naughty bits! How ribald!"

Look- I know you lifted this from Nate Silver. And if that's not who you lifted it from, let's just agree that it was anyways. So you don't actually harbor any blame or responsibility. This is Nate Silver's fault. What a dick Nate Silver is, right?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Can We Stop With the Kimono?

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Sure.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Can We Stop With the Kimono?

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Oh no! I've hurt your feelings! No! Come on, buddy!

Let's hug this out!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Nerd Pride Network”