[GB] 2x2 first playtest

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] 2x2 first playtest

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am

Only doing this because there's only 2 of us, and we wanted to go through all the cards.

Currently, Hermes (E) is drowning in a sea of 11 water hexes with godball in possession very close to goal line for Hera and Athena while Aphrodite looking on relatively helplessly thanks to wall of my heroes.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Re: [GB] 2x2 first playtest

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am

Got lots of data!

Length is now at 3 hours, which is much longer than envisioned. Goal should be 90 minutes.

Observed that we barely used hp most of the time. Most of the time was getting in strategic position. Refresh mechanics added to dynamics, especially when refresh is happening.

Some cards are OP like heck. E could have won the game instantly based on how it's written currently, despite being across the board.

Positioning the heroes extremely important.

Few ideas to make more use of hp such as 2 hp to make a hero action to move. 2 hp to shove hero back. And so on.

Those might speed up game a bit.

Some cards that affects all have some questions that needed to be answered.

Also knockback rules need to be clarified, especially if pillar is behind the hero. Same applies to squeezing a hero with two pillars.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 am

Also a thought: hero action...what if one decides to pay a lot more hp. Pay 6 hp in attempt to ensure an action *will* happen. Force something, but become utterly defenseless and offenseless in the aftermath.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm still processing this one. A lot happened. I mean, a lot. It was 8 rounds, and Aphrodite at least managed to get through her whole deck. The midgame slows down, a lot, and if you play with tactical thinkers it can slow down things more.

What didn't slow things down very much? The text on the cards. We still want symbols for things, but that's much more an online issue than a tabletop one.

(Some cards need to change. And there needs to be an increase in the number of cards that knock heroes back as well as knock them down.)

(Adding a 4th level of hero action and a choice at level 2 are good things, too. As well as the sprint action.)
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I think that's a good idea. I don't want too many hero actions, but certainly more than we have--possibly several more. And we can even have superhuman actions that require 8 points or some nonsense like that. I can't imagine what that would be, but the options are there.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 pm

I will try and get card edits and rule changes done by tomorrow, if I can!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:33 pm

After some consideration, Aphrodite pillar moving should perhaps have heroes rotate around, instead of player-chosen scrambling. The idea being, distance between players fairly important. A lot of important actions are typically around a pillar. Look at the board, how many hexes that is not covered by pillars? Outer ring and inside 6 hexes. Most of action happens around 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line, IMO.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

I think I made something fair happen here by making edits and upping the ante for the other Gods. Aphrodite gets the scramble, but almost everyone else gets a create terrain plus a knock down/knock back effect of some kind. Except Hermes, but he gets that uber-movement card.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I thought about this and have something that I would like to try, and if it feels too powerful, then we can walk it back to the rotation idea, which I also like. (Actually, as a GP 2 power, that could be cool. No moving pillar, but everyone around a pillar rotates once clockwise. Maybe for Zeus?)

Return to “Godball”