[GB] Interception

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

[GB] Interception

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

We have some work to do.

Originally, if a thrown Godball passed over your hex or over the edge of your hex, you could intercept at a cost of 2HP. That's pretty straightforward.

To expand options, it was decided that you could ALSO intercept from a hex adjacent to a hex along the Godball's path, but at a cost of 3HP.

Dave and I played around with this, and based on our intuitions and what he marked out on the maps for me, here's what the Interception Zones should look like:

In each diagram, the blue circle is the Hero throwing the Godball. The red X is the target hex for the throw. Any Hero in a hex with a number can intercept the throw for that number of HP.

The 2-hex throws are no problem. They are nice and intuitive. They work well: If the ball passes over your hex or over the border of your hex--2HP. If the path of the ball passes over a hex adjacent to yours--3HP.

The 3-hex throws work well as they are, but they are not intuitive. And they don't come up often, so people won't have cause to memorize them easily. There's no simple rule to give to players that guides them here. I COULD make an explanation, but it's overly complex. The simplest way to see the interception zones is to look at a diagram. Sure, diagrams will be available no matter what--on the back of the rulebook, or on an easy reference card or something. But it would be nice to not have them be mandatory.

Something to think about.

ALSO on the topic of interceptions: what happens when two players want to intercept the same throw at the same time? My first thought was that the Hero closer to the path of the ball should get it. But then what if they are equally close? What if they have equal claim on the ball? Are we just going with the first person to call it? They get dibs for being fast on the draw? I don't like it, and I don't have a better alternative yet. I'm hoping someone else has something obvious and/or creative that I just can't see.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [GB] Interception

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Both players tries. Tie. Ball pass through harmlessly.

Think this as one player blocking other's interception.

At least, that's a way to prevent randomized resolution.
Last edited by FlameBlade on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm

The idea I had was first person to call it gets it.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:28 pm

For the record, I find the "dibs" method to be unsatisfying. But I also think it is the best solution we have. It doesn't feel like it's in the flavor of the game to have the potential for arguments over who yelled "Intercept!" first.

Or maybe it is. I don't know.

Either way, I don't have anything I like better. Flame' s idea of a null result is solid, but I lean towards doing something over not doing something when given a choice.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

For me, from my perspective, I am generally 3-4 seconds behind the rest of people if there are any dibs mechanics. Some people respond differently to such mechanics.

So, question is, do you want to be equitable, or if you want to be sportsy?
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Alternately... if 2 Heroes both wish to intercept, a 2 point intercept takes precedwnt over a 3 point intercept. If they are the same, the one with the highest current HP total gets it. If they are still tied, then they block wach other--no interception and no points spent.

Just a possibility.
Wowie
Pastry Artisan

Postby Wowie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:09 am

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

We'll have to see how it plays. I imagine that tie situations won't be common... but common enough. We could apply the same guidelines for situations where two gods want to play instant cards at the same time. The one with the higher current HP total can choose to act or defer, and then after that action is resolved, the other player can choose to act or not in the aftermath.

If both have equal HP totals, then we have a tie--nothing spent, no action taken.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

How does Magic deal with this in a multiplayer setting?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 pm

I believe it's dibs. Let me call Aidan.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Aidan says that if they are identical or otherwise mutually exclusive actions in Magic, then it is first-come first-serve... literally whoever is first to get their card on the table.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Okay, I'm gonna be that guy... To be specific, in case this matters, Magic has a rule that is colloquially known as APNAP: Active Player Non Active Player (s). The active player always has an opportunity to respond to anything that happens first. Magic also has something known as "priority", which moves through the turn order, which gives each player an opportunity to respond to an action being made. It uses something known as "the stack", i.e., a god card or ability gets played. The active player gets an opportunity to respond, and then the chance to respond moves through the playgroup in player order. There's not a scenario where there is a free-for-all where the first person to respond wins. Once the option has moved through the playgroup fully, the active player gets one more chance to respond, and then whatever abilities have been played respond in the reverse order in which they were played.

They call it "the stack" because it helps to envision the abilities having been placed on top of one another. They then resolve, and are taken off the pile in order, so that the first ability played is the last to happen.

I'm not sure if this helps resolve the question, but I though it might be helpful to clarify.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Nice.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Just to write this for me.

Interception Tiebreakers: (Who gets to choose to intercept first.)

Closest to thrower > 2 HP catch > 3 HP catch > More HP in HP Pool > No one can intercept*

*At any point, a player can acquiesce their opportunity to intercept to another player who is able to intercept the ball.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Crap, since we made it possible to bless Interception, we might have to revisit this topic. I THINK the Tiebreaker rules I wrote above still work, but I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe:

Closest to thrower > Lowest HP Intercept Action > More HP in HP Pool > No one can intercept?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm thinking closest to path of ball, closest to thrower, fisrt player clockwise around the table from the laurel wreath.

Return to “Godball”