[GB] Hero Action Adjustments

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] Hero Action Adjustments

Postby Eliahad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:54 am

I've been thinking about making more of the hero actions useful. Grab (while used last game), Force Fumble and Intercept aren't incredibly useful the way they are. Force Fumble I don't want to change, because I think by making Defend more expensive, it makes FF possible. Here's what I think:

Top of the Board: Reactions

Defend - 3 AP (instead of 2) - Cancel action targeting your hero.

Grab - 3 AP - If a hero moves into an adjacent hex, you may grab them to prevent any further actions that turn. (Remove following altogether.)

Intercept - 3 AP - If the path of a thrown Godball passes through your hex or an adjacent hex, you may immediately take control of the Godball.

Right Side of the Board: Attacks

Shove - 2 AP - Shove adjacent opponent one hex away.

Force Fumble - 2 AP - Opponent drops Godball to adjacent hex of their choice.

Left Side: Godball Actions

Throw - 2 AP - Throw controlled GB up to 2 hexes away.

Kick - 2 AP - Kick adjacent Godball 1 hex away.

Bottom: Movement + Rest

Move - 0 AP + Hex Cost - Move 1 hex

Sprint - 2 AP + Hex Cost - Move 1 hex

Rest - +2 AP - If spent 0 AP this turn, you may regain 2 AP.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [GB] Hero Action Adjustments

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Thinking out loud...

Move/Sprint/Rest may only be used a maximum of once per round on your turn.

Reactions may be used whenever a situation arises that makes it appropriate.

Attacks may be used as often as you like on your own turn, BUT... you may only attack each other hero a maximum of once per turn. On the other hand, if you've got lots of AP and/or a discount on your attack, you could certainly shove, move, shove two more heroes, sprint, then do one more shove and wind up making a clearing for yourself (while utterly draining your AP).

OR

Do we say you can do as many attacks on as many people as you like as long as you have AP for it, BUT... if a hero chooses to defend against you, then you can't attack them any more this turn. Cuz if you're out of AP, I could force fumble on you, and then when you pick where you drop the ball, I shove you away from it. Or if I know you can't defend, I can shove, move, shove, sprint, shove and force you three hexes away because you left yourself defenseless.

I don't care if you use Throw and Kick multiple times per turn. Situations where that arises are going to be so rare. For example, I throw the ball, and you intercept it while standing right next to me. So I Force Fumble on you which you can't defend. I play a god power that allows me to drop the ball on myself. Now I'm in possession of the ball and somehow have AP left to try that throw again... if you get away with that, more power to you. That's the sort of epicness we don't want to stop. Alternately, if you have some reason to kick, move, kick, sprint, kick rather than just move onto the ball, sprint and then throw... I suppose you could dribble the ball downfield like that.

This is just brainstorming.

And all of the above would easily fit on on the hero boards if we decide to implement any of it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 am

I like the ideas, Mike, I'm rolling something around in my head, but I'm really tired and I'm having trouble focusing what I'm thinking. Let me try this:

The reason I went with "You can take each action once on your turn, as long as you have AP available," Is that you don't need to explain the exceptions, you just kind of go. Of course, Defend and Rest were special cases so there were things to explain.

Categorizing the actions helps. Attack, Reaction, Godball, Movement+Rest are pretty distinct categories. I guess you just need a little chart.

TOP - Reaction - If conditions are met on any turn, you can activate these actions.
LEFT - Attack - May take as many times as you can afford on your turn.
RIGHT - Godball - May take as many times as you can afford on your turn.
BOTTOM - Movement+Rest - May take only once on your turn.

Done.

I'm okay with this. And I'm okay with shoving the same opponent multiple times.

What about being knocked down? Can you defend? What can be done to you if you're knocked down?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Wowie
Pastry Artisan

Postby Wowie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:28 am

Keep in mind the reason Defend was made cheaper and actions were limited was because whoever was holding the ball would instantly have their AP drained to zero the turn after they grabbed it, making any attempt to hold onto the ball for more than half a round fruitless. I wouldn't be against playtesting it, but I have an idea what the result would be.

I like the idea of buffing Intercept a little though, it's too easy to get around currently unless you have some Blessed version of it. Not opposed to buffing Grab either but that version of it looks OTT, basically nuking two hero's AP pools the moment anyone moves.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Return to “Godball”