[GB] Lunchtime Games?

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [GB] Lunchtime Games?

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm out this time around. Things really didn't work out -- for instance, daycare kicked a kiddo over HFM on Tuesday, and I lost quite a bit of hours, so will need to work to get back.

By the way, it wasn't HFM. It was a teeny teeny bump from a bugbite.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:35 pm

BOOOOOOOO! I mean, okay!

I hope you can make it, Stan!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am

11:30 CST
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am

Sorry, I couldn't get out of the meeting.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am

Cool! Catch you next time!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Head to head. Zeus v. Hera. 3-3 tie, with both scoring one run-in and one throw-in goal each.

Tremendous fun. More later.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Okay, I've tried posting a couple times. I'll try again later.

Was gud.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am

Okay! I try again!

Things that I liked: Starting in the outer ring of the board worked, and I could visually see how it would look. My gut is still flip-flopping on starting /behind/ the pillar of heaven. On the other hand, it very much feels like a goal post now. A block, as it were. It's probably okay and I'm over thinking.

Zeus and Hera both have a really good feel to their decks. And they feel, right. There are a couple of individual cards that need tweaking. (Hera's Kick curse doesn't do anything meaningful, for example. Zeus has three "Shove blessings" that all do the same thing, and if you have all 3 in your hand, there's not much you can do.) Which leads to the thought of having no more than 2 of the same type of blessing (2 shoves, 2 throws, 2 kicks).

GRAB - This is right now. I actually felt like I could play defensively in this game and still have a shot, and /did/ make Mike work for his first goal. It felt good.

INTERCEPT - This is right now, too. You can get around someone to throw the ball, but you have to work to do it. Positioning matters more now, and that's the way that I like it.

Blessings - These are where you can create combinations. I don't think we specifically need to try and create combinations for the players, but Blessings, being longer term, allow you to build on other GP you already have in your hand. This is something to just keep in the back of our minds.

Hera's steal AP card should just be 'take one ap from each hero.' Yes, it's more powerful the more players there are, but that's balanced by there being more players.

TEAMS! We really want to try some team games. Specifically a 6 player 2v2v2 OR 3v3 match. If we can make those counts work, then we just have to solve the 5 player issue. (Which I think is important to do.)

Getting closer!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 am

A little wacky idea, inspired by other games, perhaps solving some of 2x2, 2x2x2, 3x3 games.

More powerful GP, hero comes in play later next turn. Less powerful GP, earlier? Or spend more AP, play later next turn, less AP, play earlier next turn. Tie? Status Quo. Or ignore me entirely. Just something I thought of.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:17 pm

I think we just need to test the various team combos and see what happens. I get the feeling that our passing and kicking options will keep the field more open and mobile. Call me an optimist, but I think 2x2, 3x3, and 2x2x2 will all work smoothly with the rules as written and only need minor tweaking. We just need people to test it to find out.

The real problem, i think, is the 5 and 6 player free-for-alls, because we HAVE tested those a little and they are problematic.

I like the idea of dumping extra godballs into the FFA games, either just start with two, or else start with one and then enter a second ball at round 5 and a third at 9, or something like that. I haven't playtested with multiple godballs in play yet, so we need to see how that works too.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:26 pm

In games of 3 or more, it is important to have heroes evenly spaced, but next time we do a head to head, I'd love to try having the heroes start behind adjacent pillars.

Just a different dynamic.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I don't think we need the 'time track' mechanic in this one. (Though I have an idea for a card based play the game supers battle that utilizes that very idea.) I understand where you're going with that, and it could work and work well. But there are a couple of reasons that I'm not sure it will work well here.

One is that I think that some emergent strategies in team play will solve the thing that you're thinking of, Flame. (Like player 1 will be the defender and player 2 will be the attacker, since they will move last in every round.)

The other is that game balance will be more insane that it already is. Each card will need to be weighed in addition to every hero action. I think that it would be entirely cool, but not make the game that much more fun.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm

I am at +3 hours this week, and anticipate putting on one more. So, this Friday?

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm in.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

I can't be there, but you don't need me to be there!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:32 pm

If it's just us, I propose a 2x2. Does that involve 2 gods per person, or just a single god each, but with 2 heroes?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:58 pm

You will want to play that as a single God for 2 heroes each.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Talked with E. Proposal: 2 heroes per round, going at the same time with 1 GP. Very curious how this will set up combos. I strongly suspect certain moves become valuable.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Still on? 12:30 or 1:00 EST?

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Whatever is most convenient for you.

Return to “Godball”