Random Notes on a new revision

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Random Notes on a new revision

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:41 pm

In general, #5 should include proofing all cards for consistency with new rules.

I've gotten through all blessings and curses, and I've changed all grab references to pummel and made modifications as needed for that. Other than that, 113 more cards still need checking. Of course, all the utility cards are identical, so... 88 cards?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 pm

New hero boards are updated and up in the hero board art folder.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I've completed proofing all cards except reaction and terrain. 46 cards left.

Hermes has 2 Rainbow Portal cards. 1 is in Legends called Rainbow Portal, and one is called Messenger of the Gods. I don't know what was supposed to be there, but we should fix that up.

Also, currently there are 16 legend cards, and only one of them (Galatea) is a heroic legend. There are NO active legends. We need to review all the passive legends to see which ones would work better as active legends. Sheep, Bull, Lion are all possibilities, but any of them we switch will need some rewriting.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Most of the legends have issues anyway...

Cards that need work:

Pod of Dolphins
Nimean Lion
Golden Fleece

Cards that could be updated to potential new rules:

Flock of Sheep
Marathonian Bull
Sirens
Volcano(maybe?)

Cards that are pretty good as is(in my opinion) :

Golden Apple
Galatea (as heroic legend)
Labyrinth
Olive Tree
Gift of Thunder
Palladion
Pillar of Orichalcum
Raibow Portal
Peacock Chariot
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Hermes Messenger of the Gods has been returned to him. It's worded verbosely at the moment, but is there.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:42 pm

What if creating terrain in the hex with the Godball ALWAYS moves the GB one hex in a direction of the Gods' choice, and a Hero has to make an intercept reaction to recover it?

Take Knockdown specifically out of terrain creation, (it can still be listed as an effect on some terrain creation cards) but it's still a way to get the GB out of the hands of others?

Just trying to streamline things further. Except there's something I'm missing with this, but I don't know what it is.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 pm

I've been feverish for about 24 hours, but I think you are absolutely on the right track. I think all terrain creation should come with some sort of bonus effect, and it's different from god to god, card to card. If you don't get some extra effect, it's because you're creating 3 or more terrain at once, so you can actually be effective at blocking someone with it.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 am

Yes. I think knockdown (and/or loss of ball) should no longer be automatic to all terrain creation. Instead let's vary them up. Some just create a wall of terrain. Some require you to pay 1AP hex cost immediately if it's not your favored terrain. Some force the occupant of the hex to move to an adjacent hex to get out of the way. Some terrain rises so suddenly, an uncontrolled Godball gets tossed 2 hexea away. Some entangles occupants. Etc etc
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Sorry. That feverish thing extended to 72 hours. I'm not completely over it, but I'm in position to start working again, so I'm reposting these to remind myself what's up:

Things that must be done to finish this PnP:

1. Find new hero artwork. Add where needed

2. Change card type for legends following the new language listed above.

Things we need to do that aren't as urgent:

3. Design reference card for back page of rulebook

4. Proofread the last three pages of the rules.
I've finished the Important Concepts/Glossary section. Now someone else has to make sure it makes sense and we have to decide if there are any more items that need to be added to that section.

5. Decide if we want space or no-space between numeral and AP.
I think space, which means just a series of find/replace on the cards, which I can get to.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 am

Add to things that must be done:

Adjust terrain cards to new rules.

[edit: Nevermind, I just did this. Um, oh my goddess, we don't really have a lot of create terrain cards. Poseidon has a bunch, of course. Athena can create some woods (with some fun effects now.)

Hera has one water one, because of the sirens, but her favored terrain is mountains, so we might need to square that one away.

I don't want to change anything, yet. I think we just need to keep this in the back of our mind. If one of the things that you enjoy, Mike, is the creation of terrain and its effect on the board, we may need to up this slightly for Aphrodite, Hera and Zeus. On the other hand, we were trying to solve a problem where terrain made the board close to impassable, so.........maybe we're closer to the right balance than I think right now.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Also, we need to test. I've lost perspective on how some of these changes affect the game.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:34 am

Thoughts as I drift off to sleep:

Dave and I looked at a new way to revise terrain cards, building from our recent changes. The new changes give us two things:

1. More flavor and individuality from the cards. More flexibility to work with.

2. Less rules in the rulebook.

My current goal is that during a game, players should need only what's on the hero boards, what's on the cards, and lastly, what we can fit on a single 8 1/2 x 11 reference sheet.

We need phases of a turn, terrain movement rules, towards and away diagrams, knockdown, and anything else that is not intuitively gotten from the cards and boards. The rest of the rulebook is something you read through one time to learn the game and afterwards only look at once in a blue moon as a refresher.

Ideally, this reference sheet is just the back page of the rulebook.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 am

I'm working on cards today.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

I resolved #5. Now there's always a space between numeral and AP.

Return to “Godball”