Post Gen Con 2019 proposed revisions

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Post Gen Con 2019 proposed revisions

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:39 pm

STEP ZERO

Fix PnP
Take out Incarnations
Fix objects
Card tweaking and rebalancing

STEP ONE
Base action cost 1AP
5 pt AP track, start at 4

Action Slots on hero mats:
Defend, Intercept
Move, Run, Sprint
Throw, Drop
Push, Force Fumble, Heroic

Removing Dive, Pummel, Kick, Rest

Rest now becomes part of the cleanup phase.

Heroic slot can accept gifts of any type. Potential for creating gifts with no type.

Move is 0 AP for 1 hex
Run is 1 AP for 1 hex
Sprint is 2 AP for 1 hex

Favored terrain has a hex cost of -1

Retain Knockdown for god cards and add "Must drop"

FF is to an adjacent unoccupied hex

Remove "Play to any hero's slot" from gifts cards. It's in the rules.

Change hero board to hero mat.

Change Action card formatting to match hero mats

18 cards per deck.

When hit by terrain, active god chooses where hero lands UNLESS it is favored terrain, then hero chooses.

Add field slots for Object and Special Terrain cards.

Field slots can also change basic rules for all players.

Note in rules: If a card says terrain, that is ordinary or special. If it specifies, it's only that type. Pillars must say pillar.

Colored goal tokens.

Every hero/god has a different favored terrain. Add Populated and Wasteland unless we think of something better. One hero gets Astral-Turf!(™) as favored terrain.

Each god should at least slightly favor one terrain that matches their current hero

STEP TWO
Make objects Godballs
Every god has 1 object card.
Every object starts at center spot.
Every object has some ability or advantage for its god.
Objects play immediately when drawn

STEP THREE
Hero mats are now generic, color coded to gods. Heroes start with 1 Special action card in the Heroic slot and 1 other modified action (?), plus nameplate with favored terrain. Hero stuff formatted with gray or black borders or whatever.

Hero tokens set on/in color coded god base.

STEP FOUR
Playtest moving goals back 1 hex and starting in goal area.

Playtest starting in your own goal area.

STEP FIVE
THE CHIP: a single chip each god has that may be spent 1 time only during the game to allow the god to play 2 cards on a single turn.

OTHER STUFF

Quick start rules

Sample round of play

Explanations and examples of trickier cards

Random card idea: Taunt -- Untyped reaction, make any action cost 1 extra AP
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Post Gen Con 2019 proposed revisions

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Okay, new step 1:

Implement a bunch of the step one stuff about that pertain to actions and action cost.

Replace the hero mats with a group of hero cards so that every action has a card. All actions arranged around a core tile so that it still looks like the hero mat.

Each hero gets one unique Heroic action. Also 1 or 2 of the standard actions are modified for that hero. All heroes are now unique.

Write the rules for Sportsball (or Heroball or whatever we call it). This is the quick start guide. A single sheet of rules, front and back, that sets up quick and teaches you the down-and-dirty of the tactical game--no gods, no special terrain, no objects but the godball. The new and modified hero actions will provide some natural introduction for some of the god powers that come in the full game.

Then Step 1B is the rest of that stuff up there.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Cards Dave Marks for Removal:

APHRODITE
AD-GF-07 - Oopsie: Hera has a better version of this card, and it never really worked the way we hoped.

AD-GF-10 - Deflected Shot: The Nutmeg Card: it was never played because it's usefulness was very, very limited

AD-GF-12 - Throw it For Me: Never worked. would be great in team play, but not here.

AD-LG-01 - Galatea: This card was the best of the incarnations. If we can include ALL of its rules on the card it could be okay. Could maybe become a special terrain.

ATHENA
Have to rewrite all of the sprint gifts.

AT-GF-02 - Knock it Loose: This serves better as Gorgo's (the new Sparte) Pummel action.
AT-GF-04 - Ever may you roam - This might work now that there is AP mitigation with favored terrain.
AT-LG-01 - Arachne - Is removed from the game
Head of Medusa becomes the Athenian Godball
or AT-GF-03 - Big Boots, we could still keep this in the Throw slot, I think.
Golden Apple needs an Aphrodite Power.

HERMES
HM-GF-04 - I'll Throw it Right Back never worked
HM-GF-08 - Rod of Caduceus never worked
HM-LG-03 - Pegasus never worked
Sheep become Hermesian Godballs

HERA

HR-LG-02 - Marathonian Bull - Incarnations were removed
HR-MR-08 - Renewed Power does not work with the reduced deck size.
HR-GF-03 - No Time for Scenery - was also fairly debilitating, but could be mitigated in the new version. I say we take it out for now. I don't think we will miss it.
Dribble could become the Hera Godball.

POSEIDON
Poseidon will have to be closely examined for the new terrain choices.

PS-GF-05 - Less useful than PS-GF-04
PS-GF-08 - New terrain rules make this less powerful, and could be given to a hero as a power.
PS-MR-07 - Poseidon will clearly be water now, so maybe something that affects mountains is not a good idea. Could be rewritten, I suppose.
Poseidon's TRIDENT should become his Godball.

ZEUS
ZS-LG-01 - the Lion is no longer in play. Could become a Hero.
ZS-GF-02 - Pummel actions aren't in play anymore. Could become a Throw action. Or just get taken out.
ZS-MR-03 - Chain Lightning always felt a little cheap. Zeus is very heavy on the "Lose AP" cards, he could stand to lose one.
Zeus's Lightning Bolts become his Godballs
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Pegasus is going to be a hero now, I feel very strongly about this. We'll keep him in the game for sure. He's going to have flying. He's going to have a kick instead of a throw. And we need to either use his helmet picture or the badminton racket picture. Oh, if we go with the helmet, he can have his sprint action also be a 'move 1 hex, if after moving you are adjacent to a hero, they are knocked down unless they take the defend action. If there is a choice, you may only knock down 1 hero in this way.'
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:53 pm

I'm all on board for hero Pegasus... especially Pegasus with the helmet.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:44 am

Hero Mat Prototype 2.0.png
Hero Mat Prototype 2.0.png (147.43 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

Let me know if that worked or not.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 pm

New Heroes!

Gorgo - Unique - Pummel - 1 AP - Adjacent hero is knocked down.

If knocked down, flip the target hero token. They must use a step action to stand up (flipping their token back) before they can activate any action except defend. Any object that hero carries is fumbled following the rules for force fumble.

Gorgo - Intercept (Predict) - 1 AP+Hex Cost - If, after an object is thrown or dropped, Gorgo is within 2 hexes of the target hex: She may move 1 hex and intercept the object. If another hero intercepts the object, Gorgo's Predict is not activated and she does not move.

Calypso - Unique - Sing - 1 AP - All heroes within 2 hexes of Calypso must pay 1 AP additional hex cost when moving AWAY from Calypso's Hex. Place this card in a field slot. On Calypso's turn, return this card to her Unique slot and place a spent token on it.

Calypso - Shifting Land - Sprint - 2 AP + Hex Cost - Move 1 Hex. If Calypso is in a hex with her favored terrain. She may pay 1 AP to move the terrain 1 hex in any direction that does not already contain terrain. Heroes and objects in the destination hex are moved to an adjacent unoccupied hex. This action is spent after use.

Pegasus - Throw (Kick) - 1 AP - kick (throw) a loose object in your hex, or an adjacent hex, up to 2 hexes from your hero's current hex.

Pegasus - Unique - Fly - Upon activation, Pegasus ignores all hex cost for terrain, including special terrain. After activation, flip this card and place it in your sprint slot, even if another gift is already present. (Flipped Side: Sprint (Feed) - If you rest in a hex containing Astral-Turf!tm, flip this card and place it in your Unique slot.

Pegasus - Sprint - 2 AP + Hex Cost - If Step and Run are spent: Move 1 Hex. If a hero is adjacent to your hex after moving, they are knocked down. If there is a choice, only 1 is knocked down. If knocked down, flip the target hero token. They must use a step action to stand up (flipping their token back) before they can activate any action except defend. Any object that hero carries is fumbled following the rules for force fumble. This action is spent after use.

Herakles - Unique - Redecorate - 1 AP - Remove adjacent land tile from the board, then, flip this card and place it in the Unique Slot with the terrain tile on it. (Flipped Side 1 AP: Place the tile on this card in target unoccupied hex without terrain.)

Herakles - Intercept (Swat) - 1 AP - if in or adjacent to the target of a thrown or dropped object, you throw the object up to 2 hexes from the objects current position.

Helen - Intercept (Lacrosse Stick) - 1 AP - If within 2 hexes of the target hex of a thrown or dropped object, you may catch that object.

Helen - Unique - Distract - 1 AP - As a reaction, a hero taking an action within 2 hexes of Helen must pay 1 additional AP or the action is canceled. Flip this card over. (Flipped side: Study Opponent - 1 AP - pay 1 AP to flip this card over.)
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02 pm

I forgot Achilles! I'll post him up later.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Achilles - Defend - Invulnerable - Achilles may not be the target of opponent's hero actions. During your refresh phase, including the first round, flip this card over. (Flipped Side - Vulnerable - Achilles may not defend against hero actions. During your refresh phase, flip this card over.)

Unique - Pole Vault - At the start of the game, place a pole object token on Achilles. If Achilles holds a pole object and has taken a run or sprint action: he may immediately drop the pole in his hex to move up to 2 hexes away from his current hex. He may move throw occupied hexes with this action. Other heroes may pick up, throw or drop the pole, but only Achilles has the training to use this object.

Return to “Godball”