God decks for Godball 1.9

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

God decks for Godball 1.9

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:52 pm

I think it's 1.9. Whatever.

In this version, every player starts with 4 cards. Every round, you play or discard 1 card and draw a new one. 12 rounds. This means you will always see 15 cards. On top of that, everyone has 1 godball card. If you draw your godball card, you play it instantly and replace it. So now we're up to 16.

I'm also considering allowing a trade-in of up to 2 extra cards at halftime. That would make it 18 possible.

Either way, we've settled on a deck size of 21 cards for each god. This means no one will ever get all the way through their cards, and while there's no guarantee that you'll see any particular card in a given game, you'll see most of them.

So now we look at: what do we want from these decks?

1. We need all the cards to feel useful or potentially useful most of the time. This means winnowing out some of the weaker/less useful cards, and beefing some up. Dave's done a great job of this so far. What we're shooting for is not having the game unbalanced because someone didn't get enough of their "good cards" this time around.

2. We also need a base of card types that forms the core of every deck. Not every card from this base has to be in every deck, but if something is left out, there needs to be some justification of why--some other mechanism that helps make up that gap. Here's what we're thinking so far:

1 godball
1 create special terrain
1 pillar of heaven effect
1 field effect
2 create normal terrain
1 move terrain

The first 4 are just because everyone gets one. The create and move terrain cards are because terrain is super important to the game and you can be crippled if you don't have some way of affecting the playing field. Additionally, it would be nice to have 1 non-godball object, but it's not as important.

All this is a rough draft. If people have ideas, we take suggestions well.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Godball”