The 15 Small Fontsize Cards

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The 15 Small Fontsize Cards

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:47 am

A vast majority of our cards are 11 point font cards, easily readable. After that there are 12 cards that are of 10 or 10.5 font. But there are 15 cards that are less than that. They are often wordy, complicated and crammed into the space. These are the cards that hold up play while people have to figure out what they mean, and how to implement them. Now, 15 isn't that bad out of 126 cards, but it's more than 10 percent. We want it to be less than that.

Here are the 15 cards that cannot be fit onto their card without shrinking their font to LESS than a 10 point font.

The goal here is to a) edit the card so it fits.
b) simplify the card so that it can be more easily read and therefore use less words,
c) cut the card and replace it with something else, even if it's one of our babies.

9 Point Cards
9 point cards are the cards that 'could be okay,' however, it would still be better to increase the font size if possible.

1. AD-11 XII Roses - Object
"When this card is played, place it in a field slot. Place the Roses token on Aphrodite's hero.

If the roses are thrown or dropped to an occupied hex, the hero in that hex must drop any previous held object and hold the roses. Heroes other than Aphrodite's hero can only drop or throw to an occupied hex."

2. HR-06 Pecking Peacock - Godball, Object

"Upon drawing this card Immediately place it in a field slot and draw another card. Place a Peacock token on the center spot.

If any hero, except Hera's hero, holds this object during their active phase, they must immediately make a throw or drop action.

If points are scored with the Peacock token, remove that token from play and discard this card."

3. PS-01 Opposite Day - Field Effect
"For all movement actions: All hexes that do not contain terrain have +1 hex cost to enter. Ignore the hex cost of any hexes containing non-favored terrain. Favored terrain still gives -1 hex cost.

Place 2 tracking tokens on this card. Remove 1, and only 1, token during your refresh phase. If there are no tokens on this card at the start of your refresh phase, discard this card."

4. PS-09 Labyrinth - Special Terrain
"Place the 4 Labyrinth tiles on any 4 contiguous hexes.

There is no hex cost to enter a Labyrinth tile or to move from one Labyrinth tile to another, but heroes must pay +X AP hex cost to exit to a non-Labyrinth hex, where X is equal to half (rounding up) the number of Labyrinth tiles that remain in play. If the hex cost is paid, remove 1 Labyrinth tile of your choice."

5. ZS-07 - Lightning Bolt, Godball, Object
"Upon drawing this card Immediately place it in a field slot and draw another card. Place a lightning bolt token in the center spot.

For any hero except Zeus's hero, it costs 1 AP to hold a loose lightning bolt. It costs +1 AP to intercept a lightning bolt.

If points are scored with the Lightning Bolt, remove its token and this card from play."
Last edited by Eliahad on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: The 15 Small Fontsize Cards

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 am

Last edited by Eliahad on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:59 am

7.5 pt font
Unacceptably small. Unfortunately, mostly fun cards. Oi.

13. AT-09 - Head of Medusa - Godball
"Upon drawing this card Immediately place it in a field slot and draw another card. Place a Head of Medusa token on the center spot.

Except for Athena's hero, any hero that ends their turn in a hex with the Head of Medusa is knocked down.

The Head of Medusa cannot be dropped by a drop action. However, it can be thrown and fumbled. No, you cannot force fumble yourself. If points are scored with the Head of Medusa, remove its token, and this card, from play."

14. PS-09 - Poseidon's Trident - Godball
"Upon drawing this card Immediately place it in a field slot and draw another card. Place a trident token in the center spot.

If held, a hero with Poseidon's Trident, may pay 1 AP to create water terrain in an adjacent hex. This effect removes any terrain already present in that hex.

If thrown Poseidon's Trident, a water tile is placed in the hex where the trident lands, removing any terrain already present in that hex.

If points are scored with the trident, remove it from play."

15. ZS-17 - Thunderclouds - Special Terrain
"Place this card in a field slot and choose two adjacent hexes. Place a Storm tile in each hex. Storm tiles count as mountains for favored terrain.

Storm tiles count as +2 hex cost. (Because it is favored terrain, the hex cost is 0 for Zeus's hero.)

When storm tiles are contiguous, the strong winds of the two tiles count as 1 hex for objects. An object dropped into in a storm hex can be placed on either tile, and objects dropped or fumbled by a hero occupying a storm hex can be dropped to a hex adjacent to either storm tile."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Okay, I fixed my typos. Poseidon's Trident is the only problematic card from above. I can get it to 9 point font. Which isn't bad, but not perfect. Here is the text I ended up with:

The word immediately is an issue, because it forces a line break, which takes up a lot of real estate. But at the same time, it has to exist.

"Upon drawing this card, immediately play it and draw another card. Place a trident token in the center spot.

A hero holding the trident may pay 1 AP to create water terrain in an adjacent hex. If the trident is thrown, water terrain is created in the hex where the trident lands.

Either effect replaces the terrain in the target hex."

OH!!!!! We try:

Immediately upon drawing this card, play it and draw another card. Place a trident token in the center spot.

A hero holding the trident may pay 1 AP to create water terrain in an adjacent hex. If the trident is thrown, water terrain is created in the hex where the trident lands.

Either effect replaces the terrain in the target hex.

Nope, that didn't work either.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Okay... first, I think you are 100% right that we can take some of our boilerplate text off these cards, and you've done a good job of that.

Then I think we should categorize and color code all the cards by how they are played. More exactly, the categories need to be based on what special rules apply to that group. For now I see 5 groups:

Gift--played to an action slot on a hero board; supercedes original action; removed or replaced by blah blah blah.

Field--played to field slot; alters rules for all players; removed by...

Object/Godball--played to field slot, subject to object/godball actions; removed from play on scoring

Special Terrain--played to field slot; etc

Instant--resolve effects immediately and then discard

This is pretty close to the current divisions, I think. Anyway, I had more but lost my train of thought. I'll return when-if I figure it out.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 am

Suggestion: replace all instances of CARDNAME with "this."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 am

That is so incredibly brilliant. I'm on it.

Return to “Godball”