Thoughts in the Interim

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Thoughts in the Interim

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm not ready to dive in quite yet, but I don't want to lose track of my thoughts.

GenCon was incredibly valuable, and I think all of the ideas that sprang from that are on the right track. We doing the right thing, however... the last couple playtests have made me feel like we've lost something magical from the original. Specifically, I think it has to do with movement. By increasing the potential amount of movement in a turn AND by making favored terrain so powerful, I feel like the game is now far more about maneuvering and tactical terrain placement than it is about hero actions and epic struggles.

To fix this, I think maybe we go back to favored terrain being zero cost instead of -1. Or maybe the base cost for the move actions is: Step - 0, Run - 1, Sprint - 3. Or maybe we keep the 0, 1, 2 cost but say you can ONLY sprint on your favored terrain. Or maybe... I don't know--some other thing or some combination/variation of the above.

Personally, I say we pull Hero Powers back out temporarily until we sort the new actions/costs with the new god powers etc. THEN when we have a balance there, we add in hero abilities again. I think we got too ambitious and need to pace ourselves again.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Godball”