[Riddler] Horse Races

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Riddler] Horse Races

Postby Mike » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm

You have 25 horses. You have a track where you can race five of them at a time. You have no way to measure time, so in each race, you know in what order the horses finished, but not their times. Assuming that all 25 horses do not vary their speeds from race to race, what is the minimum number of races you would need to run to determine which are the three fastest horses?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Riddler] Horse Races

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Crap I had what I thought was THE answer and now I think it has to be
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Wrong. But close.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Is this the smallest number of races that COULD POSSIBLY be held to determine the top 3 fastest horses, or is this the smallest number that have to be held if you want to be certain of the top 3 fastest in any scenario?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 24, 2017 10:11 pm

The smallest number of races in any scenario that will allow you to determine the 3 fastest horses. And the rules don't specify this, but this method will also tell you the order of those three.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

I feel like That's the part I'm stuck on.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 pm

If you want to know the answer, it is . You have to figure out how to run them, but if you do it right, it works every time.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Okay I figured it out, . I have no idea what I was thinking before. High, tired, dementia, or something.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 am

Awesome!

Return to “Nerd Babble”