Lesser Thoughts

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lesser Thoughts

Postby Stan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 am

I always thought the 'Smashing' in the group Smashing Pumpkins was a verb. But what if it's an adjective? Maybe those pumpkins are just smashing.

I get far more annoyed than I should at the grocery store when people put items on the conveyor belt in a manner that is no where near an optimal use of space.

Maybe I should start the group GATT, grammarians against time travel. When you disentangle personal timeline from world timeline, the number of needed verb tenses explodes. Suppose you intend to do something in your future that's in the world's past. But you're hampered by on ongoing action in the past that would normally require an imperfect verb tense.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lesser Thoughts

Postby Stan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am

Been working Sundays lately due to my life situation. Very productive but a tad weird to be the only one on the floor.

Minor phobias that I have:

1. Looking down from a height and having my glasses slip off and fall to their doom, or at least be inaccessible.

2. Keys or valuables falling into a sewer grate or the space between the elevator and floor.

3. Agoraphobia by proxy. Not so bad now that they're older but I used to be terrified when my kids were up high and one stupid action could cause them to fall.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 am

When I text, 50% of the time I don't use the proper apostrophes, but then before I send the text I go back and correct it 100% of the time.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 am

One of the simultaneously frustrating and satisfying things about my job is playing the game "What the fuck is wrong with this data?" The possibilities and subtleties outshine even the classic game "What the fuck is wrong with this code?" When it's EHR or similar data, the answer can be unknowable.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:54 pm

I have a similar question about "people" where you wrote "data". It astonishes me the trivia that people will fight over, to the detriment of everything else going on around them at work.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 am

What's the proper level of obsession? At one end, you have no interest in anything and vegetate until dead from dehydration. At the other end, you obsess over one thing to exclusion of all else until you die of dehydration. Is there a happy medium in there is it all self-inflicted semi-happiness shadowed by unfulfilled longing?

Well, in the words of a great philosopher, Life is Nothing if you're not Obsessed.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

The proper level, apparently, is somewhere in the "I'm still hydrating" zone.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:36 am

Good point. For now on, when people ask me how it's going, I'll respond with, "I'm still hydrating."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

I find it quite easy to obsess about multiple things and still hydrate - albeit poorly. You can only spend so many minutes in the day, alas. Many of those minutes cannot relate to your obsessions because you're forced to divert. The diversions can become obsessions but mostly no.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Why is the term 'silver fox' only applied to men? I've met several women who deserve the term. Especially if they're rockin' the hot librarian look.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you. :tafkap:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 pm

I think I'm going to start posting all of my thoughts in this thread where they are appropriately housed, and leave the rest of you alone everywhere else. Back to the hair: I love the silver hair thing but what's weird about it is all the light colored hair on my head that used to be blondish or light reddish-brown has turned silver, leaving behind only streaks of an extremely dark color that I never had in my hair before, as far as I know! It's really weird - most of it is very light silver and then boom - here's a piece that's brownish-black. Why?
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:26 pm

I welcome your thoughts, even the lesser ones.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am

Okay, here's a thought: I have no internet. It's amazing how many things grind to a halt when that happens.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 am

Star Wars quotes that you probably shouldn't use in the bedroom:

I have a bad feeling about this.

I'd rather kiss a wookie.

The odds of survival are 725 to 1.

Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?

And I thought they smelled bad on the outside.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Sometimes at work I have to deal with idiots who don't think very highly of me, but then, they also don't think very highly of people like Shirley Chisholm and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. And you're like, yeah, I'll take it. If the closest I get to those heroes is to be cast off into the same basket, that's close enough for me! Victory! Then sometimes you find yourself in a basket of deplorables, when you really, really didn't want to end up in the basket at all. Ah well, I'm free to be the greatest, as that great sage of our times has said. I have the stamina. IDGAF. Dirt off my shoulder. Etc.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

My dog has terrible, terrible gas tonight and I'm a little worried about letting her sleep at the foot of my bed, her normal spot, because I think the smell is bad enough to wake me from a dead sleep.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Return to “Nerd Babble”