Movie based on songs

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Movie based on songs

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 am

I Can Only Imagine is in theaters.

My wife and I were trying to think of other feature films based on songs. We came up with three more.

How many do you have off the top of your head? White text them below and see how many we get.

Don't bother cheating and going to the Wikipedia list. I did that, and it's not at all satisfying.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Movie based on songs

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 am

If this is from the podcast I only got As far as the self-driving cars and then had to turn it off. :(. Hope to catch up later but in the meantime what does this mean? Movies that are organized around the songs within them which lend structure to the plot, such as Purple Rain? Or movies that were inspired by one particular song and then tried to generate a whole movie storyline around whatever was originally in the song?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am

The second thing. Like you have a hit song and someone says, "That'd make a great movie." So they adapt it.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:12 am

I can only think of a TV show:

Also, I think this movie fits the category, but I've never seen it, so I don't know. Also, I think it's based on a bunch of songs:

Now, a more interesting discussion would be, what songs would you like to see movies based on? Easy: Jamie's Got a Gun. They already made a short film about it.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am

Of course, I don't know if any of those actually follow the plot of the songs.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:12 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Kyle, yours was a movie before it was a TV show.

My wife and Yancey both said .

The only other one I thought of was .
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm

I thought the song was written for the movie, in which case the movie isn't based on it. Am I wrong about that?
Reel on a repeating loop
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:52 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Then I only had two.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Definitely right with .

I don't think the others by this band count. Right, your saying as if the song was the pitch for the film?

You have all forgotten !

Hold tight, and then I guess coooooould count but probably not in spirit of the list.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 pm

was made 4 years after the song, but even though I'm sure there's a love story, they gave the title character to a dog! Doesn't count.

The first few minutes of plays like the plot of the song. I know, doesn't count either.

For TV specials, there is and .
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:07 am

The song played a huge role in the movie, but the plot wasn't based on the song at all.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 am

Ooooooo. That's a good one, Mike.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:06 am

probably doesn't count, since the entire album was pretty much just the soundtrack for the movie, right? (And, as far as songs go, would make a better movie... but the rating would probably be ... would make a good one too...)
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Wikipedia says of that is "provided the basis for both her autobiography and a movie on her life."
Changing my mind. It counts!

Biopics are difficult. Like, , is definitely a song of redemption/settling-down with his wife, which is the last half of the film, but I dunno. I feel it's more like, what would be a good name for a biopic, either that or , but the story would essentially be the same with either song as the title. Anyways, the true basis of the movie is .
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 pm

I think counts.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 am

I started down this road by thinking about Christmas songs because there are a thousand s*** movies based on lyrics of Christmas songs. I don't know how intimately connected the movie and song have to be. But at least there is some inspirational relationship, however poor:

Then I started thinking about songs I used to sing to my kids apart from Christmas, which yields:

And then just trying to think of classic songs that might have spawned a movie along the way:

Elvis movies are a big puzzler because in most cases the song is written for the movie and the movie is a vehicle for the song, but there might be some where the song came first or was a song Elvis was covering anyway. ???

Return to “Nerd Babble”