Hockey

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hockey

Postby akiva » Wed May 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I love hockey. It's been my favorite sport for decades. And now the Caps are in the Stanley Cup Finals. I am having a blast watching playoff hockey this year.

Feel free to ignore my obsession.
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Hockey

Postby poorpete » Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 pm

I only catch sports now if they are on the main networks and at a reasonable hour. So... just the Olympics and the Superbowl lately. All these NBA NHL MLb playoff games start at like 9 now and like on TBS, right?

I have friends who are Caps fans and I'm excited for the fluke of an expansion team maybe winning in their first year... more exciting than LeBron vs. West Coast Team VIII aka Cavs vs. Warriors IV
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm

You should feel free to tell us all about hockey! I enjoy it and sometimes go to a game. Would like to know more about what's going on, what the relevant measures are.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 am

I love hockey. When I was 12, one of the Caps players moved next door to us. We became very close with his family (still area), and started watching lots of hockey. And I love it--especially playoff hockey, which is the best sporting event, period.

Because I fell in love with hockey in the early '80s, besides the Caps my favorite team is the Oilers. And wow do they suck. So it's nice to have a successful team to root for.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 am

Since I don't know what the Caps stand for, I'm assuming it's the Captains? But maybe, and would be better: The Capuchins! The Whitecaps? Death Caps (as in, the mushrooms? we need more sports teams named after deadly mushrooms)?

Have you ever played hockey yourself? At the arena for the team closest to us, they occasionally have special days where people can go learn to play hockey for a few hours and then one of the players will come out and visit them or skate around with them. I believe it's also to raise money for charity. Anyway I thought that would be a fun thing to do until I tore my meniscus, and now I take it as a high priority to keep the meniscus sitting right where it is!

I went to the hockey games when I was in college because I had never been to one before. They were very exciting. The violence that would break out used to really freak me out though. At one game there was an actual brawl that spilled out a bit into the stands and involved the umpires, who were no longer able to maintain control. That bothered me. The hockey itself was awesome though.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am

Caps stands for The Washington (DC) Capitals.

I like hockey, and love watching playoff professional hockey. It's one of the few sports I don't avoid (I can't stand watching pro basketball, and pro baseball is boring anymore). Growing up, we used to go see the local minor league hockey team, the Fort Wayne Komets, a couple times a season, and it was a blast.

Although, I'm still a bit of a traditionalist who thinks having an ice hockey team from a Deep South or Southwest city that very seldom actually has ice, is an abomination of nature. As such, I really am hoping the Caps win, rather than the Las Vegas Golden Knights. And thankfully it didn't end up being the Knights against the Tampa Bay Lightning!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu May 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 4:15 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Hockey skates are indeed easier to skate on than with regular skates.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu May 31, 2018 6:36 pm

I haven't skated in so many decades. Where I grew up, every kid had a pair of skates. Every winter, our neighbors iced down their yard for the neighborhood kids to enjoy.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am

It SEEMS like that would make them more difficult rather than less, and yet... there you go.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 pm

He gave his tooth for that cup but apparently it was well worth it.

Return to “Nerd Babble”