Political hot takes

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Political hot takes

Postby mimekiller » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 pm

WITH THE SIMPLE SWIPE OF A PEN GAVIN NEWSOME HAS SNATCHED A HOUR OF MY LIFE AWAY LIKE IT"S NOTHING. I WILL HATE THIS WELL GROOMED SHARK TOOTHED EMPTY SUIT TILL I DIE

https://www.wga.com/blog/ca-governor-si ... quirements
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 pm

If Bolton always gives bad advice and Trump never listens to Bolton, Trump should have kept Bolton.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Not if it means Steven Miller is setting the nation's domestic policy, because I'm not sure that's an improvement over Trump making some flails in that vicinity. God help us with respect to foreign policy and defending the nation. No idea who's in charge, and just hoping the military continues to function even when decision-making is haywire.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm

I mean BOLTON tho is legit a direct threat to the tens of thousands of brown people he would happily murk. So at the end of the day I'm glad he's gone.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:14 am

Last night's D debate should have been the first (or not even the first yet). Yes, they needed to have people out there getting name recognition, doing things in the public view, but not like this. I wasn't able to watch and this is the first one I felt like, well, at least the primary election is 4 months away for those first few places, so...

Also can't believe in my lifetime we are still on this exaggerated influence of a handful of states in picking the nominee.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Dunno if I've said this here, but I think the best way (or at-least a better way) for the primaries to be scheduled is by how close a state got to the national percentage of the winning candidate the previous election.

The winner in 2016 got a national vote of 46.1% and the closest to that percentage for the winner was 46.6%. So in 2020, based on this, the first state to have a primary would be... New Hampshire. But moving forward, it would actually reward bellweather states and not just claim it's so.

Plus... Utah, which would usually go near-last because they tend to go deep-red, would go second in 2020 because of their protest votes in 2016. So in 2020 a Dem would have to win over more conservative voters and Trump would have to win-over its most weary-of-him red state.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm

I like that idea, but I might modify it to somehow weight it by the number of the state's electoral college votes. A state with a high number of EC votes that was close to the average should have priority over a state with very few EC votes that was close to the average.

And yes, complain all you want about the electoral college and whether it should even exist or be used, but as of right now, it is what matters.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:26 pm

3 of the 5 living presidents were born in 1946. The other two are Carter and Obama, aka the good ones.

(I think this is a humorous coincidence and not some anti-boomer shit)
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 pm

News reports say Pence didn't know.
For those interested in an orderly transfer of power, this is good news. Good news for everyone but Trump. I'm happy he didn't know....

Who's kidding who. Pence totally knew.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Glad Bernie is on the mend. He's not in my top 5 candidates but he's important to have in the conversation.

Hot take: his fans will want him back quick to prove he's super human, but he's also super smart so he will listen to his doctors instead. Taking his time will be a good sign of a good president.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 am

Is there any movement more honest and unswayed by but-they-are-allies than the Me Too movement?

Former NYS attorney general Eric Schneiderman and senator Al Franken taken down and the movement continues fine.*

Wish the drain-the-swampers would feel the same about the biggest swamp monsters in DC.

*Though I guess you could claim that they were ok because they knew an ally would take over their spots, but drain-the-swampers are in that same position.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Okay, I finally have a good one for ya:
I prefer Kavanaugh to Gorsuch. I don't know how to express that preference quantifiably or in behaviors, but it exists.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Listen to the Strict Scrutiny podcast.

Four women. All lawyers. Some are current law professors. Three have clerked for supreme court justices. They are law nerds and they talk over my head sometimes, but they try to break down the concepts and make it accessible. And their podcast is entirely about the Supreme Court, its justices, its politics, its docket, its decisions, its culture.

There's only about five episodes out so far, so it's easy to get caught up. I'm hypnotized by it.

And to your point, they put into words some instances that might very well make a decent feminist liberal prefer Kavanaugh to Gorsuch. Definitely the lesser of the evils, IMO.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am

Thank you, I definitely will check this out! It also matters to me that - whatever his motive may be - he came in off the blocks and hired 100% women clerks, and people like RBG expressed a certain degree of approval (whereas e.g. Sotomayor's affirmation of the need to work together was fairly impersonal and professional).
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Hot take: After decades of watching every word, Hillary now doesn't give a shit, which she has every right to, I don't think she's crazy, but obviously people are going to view her differently.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am

Hot Take: every person in the national political sphere is regularly told by fans they should run for president. Hillary is just bragging calm down.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 pm

The country would have been better off with Romney and a Democrat-controlled Congress from 2012-2016.

Return to “Nerd Babble”